PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quick opinion on this T206 Cobb?

itjclarke
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Won this card tonight... It's a raw T206 Cobb red portrait. I didn't pick up the bidding until there were literally 45 seconds left and decided to roll the dice. Seller has very strong feedback and allows returns, so that is mostly comforting. Does card look legit? Looked good to me, but I am still learning. My worries would of course be authenticity, and close behind alterations of any kind. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160597480335&si=KIlj9fD57zx91q%252BuWttpiRWwBns%253D&viewitem=#ht_505wt_922

Leon
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Looks "collected" and fine to me....Nice card.....

edited to add that many, if not most, times you can't tell any kind or recoloring from a scan. You are probably ok on this one but it's always a possibility....just throwing that out there...

itjclarke
06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks!

E93
06-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Definitely real.
JimB

atx840
06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I was watching it and its green sister, both look fine and the seller has many other cards up so chances are its the real deal. Nice pickup.

fkw
06-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Great deal! I would have guess it would have ended in the $450-$500 range myself, OM backs are a bit tougher than the common ones.

hopefully none of the spots of paper damage in face are recolored, but if so you can reverse it easily I would think. It got stepped on while on the cement.

I missed it, but those raw cards seem to slip through the cracks a bit at times.... many are now so scared of anything not slabbed, they are too lazy to educate themselves on how to tell the difference and assume if its raw its a fake. Love It!

chaddurbin
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
had a snipe around $300...would've been happy to pay that price for my beater collection.

too many holes in the front for me (i'm weirdly allergic to them physically).

p.s. the cobbs are real, but i think the rest of his t206s are fake, like young/johnson/matty...so don't bid

pps ;)

itjclarke
06-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks all! I thought it looked real too, and have several other T206s for comparison.. Also have tried to verse myself on this site's fake spotting threads. I also thought it might go for a little bit more. On a good day, maybe it's a 1.5?? But even if only a 1, still think it was an OK buy. The spotting/holes on the front are pretty bad, but the creasing wasn't as bad as the other two.. And it gets me one step closer to completing the T206 Cobb quad-fecta (NOT even about to consider backs yet!).

Btw- would love a nice T202 Cobb/Jennings if anyone has one they'd part with.

drc
06-10-2011, 12:52 AM
The seller is a well known and respected autograph dealer.

itjclarke
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I promise, this will be the last Cobb I ask about! Just received this one. I'll preface by saying, I've bought from this eBay seller before. They've been very nice to do business with.. and they'll take card back for any reason. They even offered to pay shipping fees for me to send to PSA to have it re-holdered due to cracks.

Anyway, I like the card, want to keep the card, but the cracks (mainly) and the blurry/grainy image of the eyes give me some pause.. I've since looked at several other examples and notice many seem to have a sharp face/eye image, while others appear to be sort of misaligned/blurry. Is this variance normal? And does card look good? I've read about the rash of PSA red Cobb fakes, but have not seen/read anything specifically about greens.. the fact this one's a 2, not a 6 or 7 makes me feel better too. Again- any feedback greatly appreciated, and sorry about blurry phone pics, but my scanner has focus issues on encapsulated cards. Thanks much.

Leon
06-11-2011, 07:16 AM
I promise, this will be the last Cobb I ask about! Just received this one. I'll preface by saying, I've bought from this eBay seller before. They've been very nice to do business with.. and they'll take card back for any reason. They even offered to pay shipping fees for me to send to PSA to have it re-holdered due to cracks.

Anyway, I like the card, want to keep the card, but the cracks (mainly) and the blurry/grainy image of the eyes give me some pause.. I've since looked at several other examples and notice many seem to have a sharp face/eye image, while others appear to be sort of misaligned/blurry. Is this variance normal? And does card look good? I've read about the rash of PSA red Cobb fakes, but have not seen/read anything specifically about greens.. the fact this one's a 2, not a 6 or 7 makes me feel better too. Again- any feedback greatly appreciated, and sorry about blurry phone pics, but my scanner has focus issues on encapsulated cards. Thanks much.

It's fine. Any one of the top 3-4 grading companies grading actual fake cards is very rare. As for them missing alterations, that is much more prevalent, and quite honestly, almost seems too subjective sometimes. You can ask us as many questions as you want. As times goes by, just like all of us, you will gain the knowledge needed to ask fewer. Heck, most of my friends that have been in the hobby 30+ yrs still ask questions...and I still ask a ton. It's part of learning. No one knows everything except my wife :). (oh yeah, and my 14 yr old daughter)

itjclarke
06-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Leon!