PDA

View Full Version : Canastota this weekend

wake.up.the.echoes
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Boxing Autograph Card Show - Canastota High School

Anyone attending? Worth the trip for me? I am about a 3 hour drive from there.

wake.up.the.echoes
06-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Due to the overwhelmingly positive response (ok, no one responded, but at least the response wasn't negative) I decided to make the trip to canastota. I had a good time. The gym was crowded and hot (but that's because the crowds were HUGE this year, which is great), but overall it was worth the trip. Less a card show, and more a memorabilia and autograph show, I was still able to pick up two cards I needed for my collection, including a W580 Kid Lavigne! Pretty happy to find a card I didn't have out of how few cards there were to choose from. I will definitely go next year. Rumor has it that Thomas Hearns might get the call. -Alan

aaroncc
06-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the update on the show. Wish I could have made it, but too busy. Did you see any 19th century items?

wake.up.the.echoes
06-12-2011, 04:30 AM
Aaron, although I didn't specifically look for it, I believe there were a bunch of cabinet cards (I remember seeing a few Sullivan cabinets in particular) at the show. I have never been to the National, so I am not sure how this show compares. Overall, I would say that there is something for everyone. I am definitely going back (at least for the autograph signings - the boxers are so accessible and seem pretty down to earth/glad to be there, for the most part). If you can't make it out next year, I'll be on the lookout for 19th century items for you. Alan

aaroncc
06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Alan appreciate you keeping a eye out.

Jerry G
06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the review, Alan. It is definately on my bucket list. Just wondered if you went to the Hall of Fame event and if so, did Tyson show up and did he sign?

wake.up.the.echoes
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I was unable to stay for the induction ceremonies/events on Sunday. Next year, I definitely will. Tyson was not expected to show up until Sunday (like Stallone), but Iron Mike actually showed up early (ON FRIDAY) to get his hands cast. He also granted a few interviews before being whisked away by his entourage (according to the local papers, he did NOT sign any autographs on the way back to his car on Friday). He was rumored to make an appearance at the golf event on Saturday (but I don't know if it is true or not). I did not stay at the show too long (it was a seriously crowded gymnasium), but I know Dave Bergin was set up at the show (fairly close to the autograph area). He could probably tell you who did/didn't show up for the signings.
-Alan

Jewish-collector
06-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the review of the show. As a researcher and small-time collector of Jewish boxing memorabilia, I have wanted to set up at this show for a long time now, but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I don't have anything of real value to sell, so my booth/table would be more of an educational resource (books, reprint cards, reprint photos, etc,...) for collectors (and anyone else who attends the show) to learn about the history of Jewish boxers.

(Another) Alan

Exhibitman
06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
I've never been because it is a rather involved trip for me to make. I am going to make a serious effort to do it next year; this year I really wanted to go because of the inductees [Stallone, Chavez and Tyson--about as good as it gets] but I had jury duty last week and could not reschedule plus a fraternity reunion over the weekend in San Diego.

Writehooks
06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
The Canastota weekend was terrific. Once again, I had the honor of attending all the festivities with George Chuvalo, who is one of the most popular "oldtimers" to make the annual trek. George sat between Tyson and Leon Spinks at the head table for Saturday night's banquet, and had a long talk with Iron Mike. After riding in the convertible with Chuvalo for Sunday's parade through Canastota, I had the opportunity to meet and chat briefly with Tyson at the post-parade luncheon, prior to the formal induction ceremony. He was pretty much kept shielded from the throng by a phalanx of state troopers, but did sign a few autographs and posed for some photos. Stallone was accessible at the banquet, and got a huge ovation at the induction ceremony when he yelled: "Yo, Adrian! I did it! The Saturday memorabilia show was great, as always, and I was able to pick up a nice Luther McCarty cabinet and a vintage Marciano advertising piece, along with some Chuvalo-Ali wirephotos. All in all, a great experience ... as usual.

D. Bergin
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Have to give a lot of credit to the overlooked guy of the weekend, Kostya Tszyu.

He flew in early from Australia, was constantly accessible for the long weekend, gave workout demonstrations, held question and answer sessions with the crowd and generally filled in time every time an event fell out, somebody else didn't show up or things got really slow.................and he did it all in his second language.....his first being Russian.

All the other "stars" of the weekend were pretty much hidden away, unless they HAD to come out for a scheduled event.

BCN
06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Where you could find the best pre-1900 stuff this year was in the parking lot of Graziano's. Craig Hamilton sets up there and not at the show Thursday and Friday. I picked up an oversized mounted photo of the Nonpareil and a large mounted pic of LeBlanche. He brought a double fistful of cabinets. Seeing his stuff on the web is nice but actually handling it up close is a real treat.

Don Scott
boxingcollectors.com