PDA

View Full Version : What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I know this is a bizarre question, so let me explain...

In the pre-war hockey card world, there is an interesting twist because some Hall-of-Fame hockey players also played professional lacrosse. These players have both hockey cards and lacrosse cards that were printed around the same time. The lacrosse cards are typically portraits with the players wearing sweaters from their lacrosse squads. Generally, although the lacrosse cards appear to be much rarer (maybe 5-10x rarer), the hockey card of the Hall-of-Famer usually sells for a higher price.

Interestingly, it is not as though the hockey cards portray the timeless jerseys of the teams we still love...pretty much none of them look anything like curent uniforms anyway.

This got me thinking, if Ty Cobb or Matty or other baseball HOFs appeared on scarce early 1900s portrait tobacco cards as (let's say) tennis players: (a) would you want those cards at all, and (b) if so, would you pay more or less than a T-206 for such a card in equal grade?

Cheers,
Blair

sbfinley
06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Ty was never fond of tennis. He called tennis players "silly nannies" and much worse.

Now a Cobb racing card would be interesting. He was fond of cars and would even take laps at Indy. If one did exist I would expect to to be popular, especially with player and oddball collectors.

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Now a Cobb racing card would be interesting. He was fond of cars and would even take laps at Indy. If one did exist I would expect to to be popular, especially with player and oddball collectors.

Good example!

I know Ty loved golf too, but I think many people like to collect golf cards...I was trying to look for an analogous sport to lacrosse, which in and of itself likely does not have a huge collector following.

Cheers,
Blair

sbfinley
06-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Now that I've stated that, I am curious as to what the earliest printed racing card is. Being that the Indy 500 hit it's hundredth birthday this year that puts competitive auto racing's beginning popularity at least as early as tobacco and caramel cards. I can think of almost every popular sport being represented in a set anywhere from the 1880's to the 1930's. Was there a driver in the Sports Kings set?

Wow, I'm getting off topic. Happens at three a.m. I guess.

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 02:10 AM
To give you an example, from the hockey/lacrosse sets, the key hockey HOF player is Ed "Newsy" Lalonde. For a visual, here are scans of his hockey rookie card (graded by SGC, and sold by Heritage in 2010) and his ungraded C59 Lacrosse portrait card:

sbfinley
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
For clarity, which sport was more popular at the time. I.E. Would Lalonde at that time be considered a Hockey player who dabbled in Lacrosse, a Lacrosse player who dabbled in Hockey, or a cross-platform star. Because say if Matty was issued in a Golf set even at the time he would be instantly recognized as a baseball player who dabbled in golf.

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 02:42 AM
For clarity, which sport was more popular at the time. E.I. Would Lalonde at that time be considered a Hockey player who dabbled in Lacrosse, a Lacrosse player who dabbled in Hockey, or a cross-platform star. Because say if Matty was issued in a Golf set even at the time he would be instantly recognized as a baseball player who dabbled in golf.

Hi Steve,

At the time, Lalonde was considered to be one of the greatest at both sports. He made more money playing Lacrosse, which was definitely very popular at the time (much moreso than today, I believe). He was a legit two sport superstar.

Others featured in both sets, like HOF goalie Paddy Moran, I would say were probably better known as hockey players.

Cheers,
Blair

T2069bk
06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
pick up a Matty Checkers card and of course because he quit for 1909 I would need a Johnny Kling Pool card!

egbeachley
06-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Wasn't Bicycle racing the most popular sport in 1909? Especially the 6-day races.

HexsHeroes
06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Ty was never fond of tennis. He called tennis players "silly nannies" and much worse. .

And if memory serves me correctly, tennis was the sport that his son Ty Jr. took up and played competitively at the collegiate level.

DaveH
06-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Ty's racing card.

dh

Exhibitman
06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Heavyweight champ Tommy Burns was another lacrosse-playing Canadian. He has two lacrosse cards, both of which are quite expensive in comparison to his boxing cards of the era. I will post one later on. Here is a card of him as a boxer:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/Kid%20Herman%20Burns%20white%20with%20blue.jpg

steve B
06-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Wasn't Bicycle racing the most popular sport in 1909? Especially the 6-day races.

I'd be interested in a non baseball card of a baseball player, but probably wouldn't pay extra unless the card was rare on its own.

Yes, cycling was immensely popular in the US and Europe in the early 1900s. Popular enough for the top racers to be the highest paid in any sport.Top riders of 6 day races made between $500 and $750 a day, and even rookie pros made $100 a day. Plus they could win sprint prizes which could be considearble. I've seen an interview with a rider who said in Chicago Al Capone would sit trackside late at night and put up a sprint prize of $50-100 every few laps for a couple hours! More if he felt the competition was truly exciting. (A lap might take 30 seconds loafing, much less if going for a sprint prize.

More info..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing

Many of the racers moved from bikes to cars, motorcycles and planes in the 1910 era, including some pretty big names Barney Oldfield, Harley Davison....

I collect cycling cards and memorabilia from pretty much any era. So far it's much more affordable than baseball stuff. A nice card of Major Taylor or Eddie Merckx two of the best ever is usually under a hundred, and typical race used bikes of lesser riders are typically under 2-3000, sometimes much less. (And there are also fakes and misidentified stuff, not a surprise. )

I wonder of any baseball players raced bikes as well?

For a look at at truly spectacular collection check this out. It's only part of the collection that's shown. He also bought an entire archive of cycling press photos from one of the european magazines. He said it was something like four 4x4x4 pallets of photos, around 250,000 or so.
http://www.thehortoncollection.com/

Steve B

alanu
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
The Michael Jordan baseball card was pretty popular in it's day.

I suppose a Cobb/Wagner/Mathewson anything card would be popular, but maybe not as desired as the baseball cards.

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Heavyweight champ Tommy Burns was another lacrosse-playing Canadian. He has two lacrosse cards, both of which are quite expensive in comparison to his boxing cards of the era.

Very true! Here is his C60 lacrosse card (another PSA misidentification as C59, so I cropped that out...):

Brian Van Horn
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

I am getting a picture of a Ty Cobb/John McEnroe tennis match. The line judge has just been murdered. Now to play Clue.

fkw
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Ty Cobb, along with Hugh Jennings and a few other Tiger players have their own Car cards, the 1908 Brush Postcards all picture players (mostly single players) at the wheel of a Brush Automobile.

maybe someone has the Cobb to show, Ive owned a couple over the years but never the Cobb.

Bridwell
06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I've seen postcards of pre-war players hunting, such as Cy Young. There are postcards of guys playing golf, such as Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth. There are ads where players endorse sporting equipment, such as Chief Bender on a skeet-shooting ad or Johnny Evers, or Honus Wagner, endorsing other sports equipment from their own sporting good companies. All of these are considered collectible and have value. A postcard or pre-war collector card of any sport is valuable if it has someone famous on it.

A lot of the great baseball players were great athletes so they tried other sports. Jim Thorpe, for example, was good at almost any sport.

Bosox Blair
06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
What if Ty Cobb had a scarce 1909 Tennis Card?

I am getting a picture of a Ty Cobb/John McEnroe tennis match. The line judge has just been murdered. Now to play Clue.

LOL :D!

Cheers,
Blair

Exhibitman
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Not a card but here's a photo of New York City boy Lou Gehrig pretending to be a cowboy

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneouscards/websize/115252_711_lg.jpeg

packs
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
If there was a Honus Wagner basketball card I'd buy it.

Bilko G
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Very true! Here is his C60 lacrosse card (another PSA misidentification as C59, so I cropped that out...):

great card!! never seen this one before:cool: