PDA

View Full Version : Difference between these? D350, D329, M101-4/5

SethY
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I am very confused as to the differences between the sets I listed above. Aren't D350 Standard Biscuit and D329 Weil Baking the same as M101-4/5? What are the differences that have them graded with different titles?

I am specifically interested because of some of the cards I see on eBay. All the D350 and D329 cards seem exactly the same as the M101-4 and M101-5 cards I see as well. Also, while searching through the board archives, I see people ranking rare backs of M101-4 and M101-5 and including Weil Baking and Standard Biscuit...but aren't they different because of how they are titled (D350, D329?)

Are any of them rarer and more valuable than the other?

Someone please help me by shedding light on my questions! I would greatly appreciate it as I am looking to make some purchases of certain cards. I would like to be fully educated first, though.

Thanks!

Seth

fkw
06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
"D" are bakery cards. M101-4 and M101-5 were originally for the periodical cards with Sporting News backs.
The D350, D329, are the correct names, but M101-4/5 can also be used because it the ACC# NOW used for the whole group of cards (20 different backs) made by the Chicago printing & publishing firm of Felix Mendelsohn

Leon
06-07-2011, 06:27 AM
To add a bit to what Frank said, Burdick classified many things in his ACC, which classifies most of our insert cards, by who and how, the cards were issued. So if they were put out, or inserted, with a package of Standard Biscuits then they got a D, for Bakery, designation. If they got put out by a periodical, as The Sporting News, then they got an M designation. Burdick made many mistakes but that is mostly how he tried to classify them. That is why you see the classifying as you do.

As far as values, HOF'ers, Black Sox members, minor stars and short printed cards usually bring more money. Many of the different backs are considered rare and will also add quite a bit of value to the cards.