PDA

View Full Version : 1948 Topps Magic Photos with Gray Border.

novakjr
06-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Recently I've been picking up a few of the 1948 Magic Photos. One thing I've noticed is that at least 2 of the ones I have picked up have gray borders. The only mention of this that I've seen online are on the Topps Archive site, and that really only refers to one known instance. Topps Archive also alluded to the fact that it "may be" due to overexposure or too much chemical.

Of the two I have, one of them is a wrestler, Frank Gotch. And the other is Joe Louis.

Now, with the Joe Louis, it can clearly be seen that all the white on the card is Gray(or brownish), including his name. Which would lead me to believe that the card was overexposed. And that fits the possible theory from the Topps Archives page. BUT on the otherhand, the Frank Gotch is a completely different story. Everything that is supposed to be white, including his name in the photo is actually white, while the border appears to be gray.

Does anyone have any insight into these potential gray border variations? Are they true variations, or are they just freak occurrences having to do with exposure methods?