PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Topps Error -Charley Ane

CowboysGuide
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Here's an interesting unlisted error variation of the 1960 Topps Charley Ane I just picked up. This is probably more of a printing mishap rather than an 'error'.

http://www.thecowboysguide.com/misc/1960Topps-Ane-error.jpg

steve B
06-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Nice printing error. Probably from a drop of ink getting between the blanket and paper or between the blanket and plate. Could also be a dry plate, but it looks more like an ink drop.

Steve B

nearmint
06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
That's interesting, Steve. Can you elaborate a little? What is the function of the "blanket"? I don't know much about printing, but it would be great to learn more about the process and how these problems occur.

steve B
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
OK, maybe a bit long, but I'll try to keep it brief.

A typical offset lithography press has a number of rollers and a couple reservoirs. One reservoir for ink and another for water. There's a series of rollers that spread out the ink so it can coat the plate evenly.

The plate itself in modern systems is an aluminum plate with a coating that the ink will stich to. But when it's developed like a photo sections of it will absorb water. The plate is wet with water, and then is rolled over by the ink rollers. Actually this is almost constant, there's only about a 2 inch gap once the plate is wrapped around the roller that holds it. The ink is oil based, and won't stick to the damp areas.

Next, the plate rolls against a rubber mat called the blanket, transfering the ink to the blanket which is on its own roller.

Then the paper feeds between the blanket roller and another roller so the ink transfers to the paper.

If the plate isn't wet enough there will be extra ink, but usually a weak overall layer of whichever color it is.
If the plate is too wet the ink can float on the puddles. Uncommon, but spectacular in appearance.

The ink reservoir needs refilling occasionally, and the ink is very thick almost like a thin grease, so it needs to be spread out along the length of the reservoir. We used what was basically a putty knife. Sometimes there will be a bit of ink that drips off the knife and if it lands in just the right spot it ends up getting spread out like the area on this card.

There's a bunch more stuff that can go wrong, but those are the basics.

I've started putting together a guide to printing errors on cards with pics of various errors from my collection and explanations of most of them. Some of the very modern processes aren't as familiar to me, but the basics of how they're done are. (Stuff like foiling and die cutting)

Steve B

nearmint
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Great info, Steve B, thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing your guide. I have a lot of 1960 Fleer football cards, and many of them have printing problems of various sorts. It will be interesting to match them up with yours.

Edited to add: thanks to Steve L for starting this!

CowboysGuide
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Steve B;

Thanks for your insight into the vintage card printing process.

So, by what you have stated, this explains the red blob on the card, but what about the missing yellow text in the football shaped graphic. There doesn't seem to be yellow missing on the entire card, just this area.

steve B
06-13-2011, 07:50 AM
The printers use a group of colors,usually just the 3 primary colors plus black. Sometimes they'll use more.
Typically you want to print the lighter colors first so the later dark colors will cover them. That also makes the layout easier.

For instance on the card shown thy could simply print a yellow football then print the red over it and not worry much about registration. In reality they usually only print larger yellow letters to save on ink since the registration on the picture matters.

So the colors printed would be in order - Yellow, Red(magenta), Blue(cyan), Black.

When the red smeared it covered the areas that should have been blank to let the yellow show through.

Steve B