PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive Reference for 19th Century Baseball Uniforms - Is there one?

thecatspajamas
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know of a comprehensive reference for pre-1900 baseball uniform styles?

The "Dressed To The Nines" online exhibit from the Hall of Fame is an awesome tool for 1900-present uniforms, but I haven't found anything comparable for pre-1900 uniform styles. Is there something out there that I'm not aware of, either online or in print?

While I'm at it, a reference for Minor League uniforms is also on my wish list, but I fully realize that may never materialize due to the sheer number of teams and relative scarcity of photographic references.

bmarlowe1
06-05-2011, 12:42 AM
The "St. Louis Cardinals Encyclopedia" by Bob Broeg and Jerry Vickery has it for the AA Browns/NL Cardinals franchise going back to 1882. It may not be perfect, but it seems very close to correct. I known of none other like it.

thecatspajamas
06-05-2011, 08:45 AM
That's a start at least. Thanks for the tip!

Lance

olsport
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Pre 1900 Spalding and reach guides have printed pictures of major and minor league teams of the day. A great book called, "The H book of Harvard Athletics" shows alot of there 1800's team pictures as well to see many uniform styles. Also 1800's Baseball equipment catalogs have the various styles. A reproduction of the Peck & Snyder equipment was made like 20 years ago in a hardback.