PDA

View Full Version : Size inconsistencies of 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats

Daniel
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have a question regarding the sizing of 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats.

I recently won 14 of them in eBay auctions (from a seller with a very good reputation that I have purchased from before). The size of the cards are inconsistent (height, not width) when compared to a standard Topps card. Two of the cards are the exact height of a Topps card but the rest are all shorter and not uniform with each other. The shortest one is 2mm smaller than a Topps card.

The cards are all HOFers but because they only sell for a few dollars each, I wouldn't think anyone would trim them.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal for 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats?
Thanks - Daniel

Daniel
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Anyone able to help a newbie out on this??

ALR-bishop
05-31-2011, 03:00 PM
I have the set. I collect all my sets in ungraded form for display purposes. I put this particular set together years ago before grading and condition were as central to the hobby as now. But in checking my cards I do not notice the type of size differences you mention.

Griffins
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I've got #80 (Grove/Martin) that is considerably longer than the standard size. Given that all the #80's may or may not have been distributed in packs I don't know if that is a good measure for the issue.
The rest of my set is pretty consistant in size.

ALR-bishop
06-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Anthony---I have one of those as well and mine was obviously hand cut and is an odd size, but I always assumed if was a left over print defect ( wrong back of non issued card on the front of one of 3 issued cards) that got into the hobby other than in packs. Have you heard that some may have shown up in packs ?

Daniel
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the replies. I would possibly think the cards are trimmed except they are worth so little. I think I'll send the seller a message and hear what he says aboout it.

Griffins
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Al- I've got an issue of The Trader Speaks that seem to indicate at least some were.
I've seen hand cut, machine cut and notch cancelled, and ones that, like mine, are machine cut and uncancelled. The latter were the the ones that were probably issued in packs, if any were.
The article didn't indicate whether all 3 variations were believed to have been issued in packs.