PDA

View Full Version : and I was ugly to start with

dstraate
05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Sitting there at 1st base last night. They had runners on second and third so everybody was drawn in a bit, and a lefty stepped up and scorched one to me. Butt down, heads down, hands down, ball hops up. The seam is in there if you look closely. I guess Ryne might have gotten his hands up in time. As for me, well, you can see.

Leon
05-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Sitting there at 1st base last night. They had runners on second and third so everybody was drawn in a bit, and a lefty stepped up and scorched one to me. Butt down, heads down, hands down, ball hops up. The seam is in there if you look closely. I guess Ryne might have gotten his hands up in time. As for me, well, you can see.

Dude......been there done that....damn poor field!! How many of those really bad hops do you see in the Majors? ( very few ) ......I understand being on your toes, catching eggs, soft glove yadda yadda yadda....but....Ya' gotta get your head out of the way faster and let them have a hit on it. Don't use your face to block a high, hard, bad bounce :eek:.

I thought this was worthy of the front page.....moderator privileges.... (you're welcome David :))

novakjr
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
I feel your pain bro. I took a line drive to the face while pitching at around 12 years old. Pretty much hit me right between the eyes and also destroyed my glasses. That hurt like a SOB. The metal frame from the glasses ended up cutting into me a little, so I ended up having to get a tetanus shot as well at the hospital. I think the shot was the worst part.

gnaz01
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I feel for you man!! When I was 10 playing little league ball, I was standing on third with a lead, and everyone used this "one" red aluminum bat and the rubber grip was very loose. Next thing you know, one of my teammates took a huge cut (as huge as a 10YO could do :D) but the bat came OUT of the grip and caught me on the jaw standing at third. I was OUT COLD for about 10 minutes :eek:

Maybe that is what is wrong with me today :p

barrysloate
05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
David- that's wicked! Hope you are feeling better.

novakjr
05-27-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYosdIQ9JA

ChiefBenderForever
05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
OUCH !! When anybody asks you what happend tell them you don't want to talk about it but say ' you should see the other guy !'

tiger8mush
05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
As for me, well, you can see.

oh man, that looks painful. exactly why i play outfield! :p

nebboy
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
:cool:

Cerberus
05-27-2011, 03:48 PM
"Cut me, Mick"

CowboysGuide
05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
My 15yr old nephew is a pitcher for St John's high school (Maryland), and he was hit with a line drive a couple weeks ago. The ball broke his right radius (forearm). He didn't want to come out of the game! Ahhhh, to be young again!

howard38
05-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Big Six
05-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I assume you didn't make the play?

Sorry for the unnecessary sarcasm...we've all been there...imagine being a pitcher and being even closer on every play...no thanks.

bbcard1
05-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I pitch pretty poorly for an even worse team. I figure I might get dinged sometime this season...but I honestly never feel better or younger than when I play softball...it's GREAT. It's even better now that I can play with my 16 year old, who is twice the player I ever thought about being.

jcmtiger
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow, that hurts, I don't have a picture, but, was playing 2nd base in Las Vegas Senior league. A left hander hit a one bouncer, hit just above the palm, then the chest, then the the chin, just about cut my tongue off. I just remember my Dad, get in front of the ball. WOW!
Joe

dstraate
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Definitely didn't make the play, the ball squibbed into right.

I had breakfast with my doctor the next day. He's a good guy. Told me that he couldn't really tell, but if I still had an eye in there when the swelling went down, and it didn't hurt, then I would be fine.

Turns out all of the blood drained into my eye. So even though the swelling is down, I look nasty as ever. Kind of an inverse Cubs logo with red wrapped around the blue.

E93
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Ouch. Sorry that happened.
JimB
P.S. I don't think that's what they mean by, "Keep your eye on the ball."

HexsHeroes
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM

high school days. rain forced infield practice into gynasium. Beautiful golden-tone wood floor. I played third base. Final scorching grounder hit to me and I lose sight of the yellowed ball in that mass of golden wood. BAMM. Right above the left eye. Two perfect set of baseball stitched seams neatly imprinted above my eye. Teammate concern quickly changed to rip-roaring laughter. God, I loved those guys, and miss those days.

Thanks for the brief opportunity to drift back 30+ years ago.

mrvster
06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
David,

How does the other guy look??:D

peace

johnny

dstraate
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
The other guy looks like a million bucks. Silver Fox if you will. As for me...

joeadcock
06-05-2011, 04:05 AM
10th grade senior high school baseball. I was in batting cage with pitching machine. Ball slammed my left hand while holding the bat. No more playing for me. Hand swollen for days. Result:fracture.

BKROGH
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
wow thats sick, hope your feeling better.

Tsaiko
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Little League, playing third base with a runner on second.

Checking out the older junior high school girls in the stands, pitcher screams my name.......I turn to receive a fast ball right in the nose - runner was stealing third.

Woke up in the field house to smelling salts. Played right field the next game.

Women!

B O'Brien
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Be proud of yourself! Keeping the ball in front of you at any cost is what sorts out the men from the boys.

I love it when players show some heart, no matter what level of the play! I hope the boys took care of your bar tab after taking one for the team like that.

Two thumbs up for keeping some heart and soul in the game,
Bob

bijoem
06-05-2011, 05:05 PM
geez.... its getting worse looking.

feel better.

fkw
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow Ouch Thats a good one. hope it heals OK

since Im a lefty, I played 1st alot, I was NOT known for staying in front of the ball, mainly because of the rocky cinder and patchy weed fields we played on back then (70s-80s). I had near misses though..

kudos for staying in front of the ball, many dont have the balls to do that and would have shied away