PDA

View Full Version : Memorabilia origin

MacDice
05-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I have seen some graded cards that have been traced to a special collection or player estate and often wondered what documentation is need before PSA will add something to the slab. How much value does it add to an average card if it came from a specific collection or players estate?

Leon
05-27-2011, 07:02 AM
I guess you would have to call PSA customer service for the answer as to what they will do on their flips. A of pedigree will sometimes add a little value but rarely very much, in my experience. I doubt most collectors would pay much of a premium because of who owned the item previously. Of course there could be extraordinary circumstances where folks would pay more but in general, not too much...

barrysloate
05-27-2011, 08:07 AM
There could be at least one circumstance where collectors would pay a premium based on who previously owned a card. Because there is always a concern about doctored cards getting slabbed, one from a long time collector such as Lionel Carter would likely garner more interest. We know Carter put most of his collection together half a century ago, so cards from him are virtually certain to have never been doctored. Provenance is always highly valued, in pretty much any field of collecting.

Leon
05-27-2011, 08:30 AM
There could be at least one circumstance where collectors would pay a premium based on who previously owned a card. Because there is always a concern about doctored cards getting slabbed, one from a long time collector such as Lionel Carter would likely garner more interest. We know Carter put most of his collection together half a century ago, so cards from him are virtually certain to have never been doctored. Provenance is always highly valued, in pretty much any field of collecting.

If I am not mistaking there were a few cards in his collection that were trimmed. They weren't done so for monetary reasons but were nonetheless. I agree on that type of provenance adding some value. It was "The Charlie Sheen Collection" or the infamous "Mr. X" collection....and the ilk, as to not adding much more value. I too will pay a small premium for good provenance like "Carter" or "Nagy"...., just not a lot.

Jay Wolt
05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
The value attributed to a pedigreed card can range from 0% to many multiples of the cards regular value.
I know people who have no use for them and others (like myself) that collect pedigreed cards.

In this case of the Mayo owned by Casey Stengel, I paid a premium (maybe double the card's value at the time) just to have it.
While I have picked up some Lionel Carter & Frank Nagy's at or below book.
But if a different issue Carter pops up that I don't have, I would indeed pay a premium to obtain it.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/1252096012.jpg

barrysloate
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Didn't know that some of Carter's cards were trimmed. I assume those were all properly placed in AUTH holders.

drc
05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
If the card can be shown to come from a auction of the person's items, I would think that would be good enough. If you have the catalog page and proof your card is the card on that catalog page, that would be enough I'd think. I don't know the history of your cards, so this is just an example.

If you have strong enough documentation, you wouldn't have to have the label to demonstrate the provenance to a prospective buyer.

Jay Wolt
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Didn't know that some of Carter's cards were trimmed. I assume those were all properly placed in AUTH holders.
Barry, Correct!
Here is a group of 4 diff issues I scanned awhile ago, the T207 is trimmed and marked as Auth.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/carterpedigree.jpg