PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Babe Ruth Balls With Bogus PSA-DNA Documentation

sports-rings
05-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Just want to give a heads up about the latest scandal. I know a pawn shop owner in Tampa that just got ripped off from the same person.

Please be careful out there......

My website has a link to this story....

www.SportsCollectingNews.com

<br><br>

murphusa
05-26-2011, 07:18 AM
"Beware of Babe Ruth Balls With Bogus PSA-DNA Documentation"

is this like a Dillinger type thing. I would have thought he was buried with them

53Browns
05-26-2011, 07:33 AM
No shortage of scumbags out there.

David Atkatz
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
"I know you paid $5000 for this ball, but, because you're desperate, I'll give you a grand."

Pawnshops legally prey on the desperate, the downtrodden, and the uneducated.

I certainly don't endorse forgery, but if someone's gonna get taken, let it be a pawnshop.

sports-rings
05-27-2011, 04:26 AM
no matter how we feel about pawn shops, theives faking a psa-dna document and putting forged products into our hobby is awful and the latest scam.

I Just wanted to give people a heads up.

sflayank
05-27-2011, 06:03 AM
how are they forging the psa/dna documents

RichardSimon
05-27-2011, 06:24 AM
I would think forging PSA documents can be forged on a color printer and passed off to someone who has no familarity with one.
Just another scumbag working the forgery game.

sports-rings
05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
I had heard that the person who did this in Florida was affixing stickers to the balls with a machting number! Also, the letthead from PSA had a watermark!

steve B
05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
"I know you paid $5000 for this ball, but, because you're desperate, I'll give you a grand."

Pawnshops legally prey on the desperate, the downtrodden, and the uneducated.

I certainly don't endorse forgery, but if someone's gonna get taken, let it be a pawnshop.

Since the ball was fake, it was probably more like " <insert BS story here> so I need to sell this Babe Ruth ball. I paid 5k but I really need a thousand right now"

Nobody forces anyone to sell stuff to a Pawnshop.
How much profit is fair? How much to advertize, keep the rent paid, lights on, staff paid, healthcare paid for, taxes paid on inventory, cost of inventory itself......Nobody complains when WalMart makes 5x cost on an item, but if a small business does it they're preying on people. :(

A bank can charge 12-30% for essentially the same thing - providing loans via credit card. I'll bet if the guy asked for a loan he'd have gotten more and at a better rate than the banks would give him. Tried getting a personal loan lately?

And if someone really paid 5K for a ball wouldn't they have a better chance of getting good price from the dealer they bought it from, or on Ebay.
If someone had 5K to actually spend on a ball, and is desperate enough to need a pawnshop it's likely the problem is one of their own making.

Steve B

Bilko G
05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
would have loved to see what this fake PSA/DNA Cert looked like.

David Atkatz
05-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Since the ball was fake, it was probably more like " <insert BS story here> so I need to sell this Babe Ruth ball. I paid 5k but I really need a thousand right now"

Nobody forces anyone to sell stuff to a Pawnshop.
How much profit is fair? How much to advertize, keep the rent paid, lights on, staff paid, healthcare paid for, taxes paid on inventory, cost of inventory itself......Nobody complains when WalMart makes 5x cost on an item, but if a small business does it they're preying on people. :(

A bank can charge 12-30% for essentially the same thing - providing loans via credit card. I'll bet if the guy asked for a loan he'd have gotten more and at a better rate than the banks would give him. Tried getting a personal loan lately?

And if someone really paid 5K for a ball wouldn't they have a better chance of getting good price from the dealer they bought it from, or on Ebay.
If someone had 5K to actually spend on a ball, and is desperate enough to need a pawnshop it's likely the problem is one of their own making.

Steve B

Nonsense. A pawnshop, by its very nature, preys on desperate people who, for the most part, have no place else to go.

When's the last time you saw the three balls hanging in an upscale part of town?

steve B
05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
In the slightly upscale areas they call them "consignment shops"
In very upscale areas they're "antique shops"
There's a place on Beacon hill in Boston with the three balls hanging outside. Pretty ritzy neighborhood. (Pun not intended - nor accurate, it way on the other side of the common and a few blocks off) I couldn't even get buzzed in, and from the looks of the stuff inside I couldn't afford it anyway.

In whatever field you're in do you ever tell a client/customer "I've made enough money this week, so your purchase/job is free" or even "at cost".

Lawyers, doctors, pawnshops. They're all in business to make money. If it weren't for the pawnshops, where would those desperate people go? It may be a poor deal, but if it's the only available deal then that's pretty much it.
If you can't get a loan but have stuff with some value you go to a pawn shop or some other sort of dealer in used things. Only the pawn shop will give you next weeks lunch money for your TV.
The lawyers office will charge what $200/hour for having a student look up something? And yet they're respected and the pawnbroker isn't.....

And all they do is make a decent profit off people who likely snorted/smoked/drank/gambled their paycheck, thus keeping them temporarily away from needing to commit crimes to eat or feed their habit.

Yes, I'm in a cynical mood. It may pass.

Steve B

stone193
05-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Just want to give a heads up about the latest scandal. I know a pawn shop owner in Tampa that just got ripped off from the same person.

Please be careful out there......

My website has a link to this story....

www.SportsCollectingNews.com

<br><br>

Thanx for the report Mike.

sports-rings
05-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Nonsense. A pawnshop, by its very nature, preys on desperate people who, for the most part, have no place else to go.

I guess you can say the same things about lawyers, doctors, consultants, repairmen and lots of other people out there.

Forever Young
05-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I guess you can say the same things about lawyers, doctors, consultants, repairmen and lots of other people out there.

*thumbs up*

David Atkatz
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
It may be a poor deal, but if it's the only available deal then that's pretty much it.

Steve B

Yep. That's pretty much it.

(BTW, a "consignment store" is not a pawnshop. Neither is an antique store.)

sports-rings
05-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I am not disparaging any of those professions, just wanted to make the point that they provide needed services, provide employment, pay taxes and should be able to make a profit.

drc
05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
The PSA/DNA and JSA LOAs both have the respective company wallmarks in the paper. Easy to check.

Mr. Zipper
05-28-2011, 05:51 PM
And all they do is make a decent profit off people who likely snorted/smoked/drank/gambled their paycheck, thus keeping them temporarily away from needing to commit crimes to eat or feed their habit.

This isn't really accurate. :)

My brother is a police detective. In general, the police hate pawn shops. Why? Because they are an easy outlet for stolen goods. By the time the shop discovers it is stolen merchandise, the seller is long gone and likely snorted or smoked up the cash they got out of the deal.

Many law enforcement people feel the unintended effect of pawn shops is they increase burglary.

steve B
05-31-2011, 08:56 AM
This isn't really accurate. :)

My brother is a police detective. In general, the police hate pawn shops. Why? Because they are an easy outlet for stolen goods. By the time the shop discovers it is stolen merchandise, the seller is long gone and likely snorted or smoked up the cash they got out of the deal.

Many law enforcement people feel the unintended effect of pawn shops is they increase burglary.

Could be that's how it works wherever he is. There are some bad pawn businesses, just as in any other business. All the ones I've been to require a valid ID to sell or pawn. (From overhearing while I was looking at the stuff sor sale)
I have sold to card shops, and never been asked for ID. and was always paid by cash rather than check.

I've only bought something known to be hot once, but did it because I knew the owner and had his contact info, so it was more of a recovery than a bad purchase. -Bicycle, stolen over a weekend, reported to most local bike shops Monday/Tuesday offered to me Thursday for $50 bought for 20 plus I got the sellers ID:) Turned over the bike and ID info to the owner that evening. A nice ending to a crummy week for him. The seller had lame excuses the police didn't believe, but which also meant they couldn't act. The bag of drugs in his backpack when they questioned him was a different matter....:D

Steve B