PDA

View Full Version : If you could restructure Net54...

mintacular
05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
How would you do it? For example, to me lumping Basketball/Hockey just doesn't make sense to me...Same with "Postwar and Watercooler"--makes it sounds like post-war collectors are loony tooners and should share space/air with the random thoughts of the watercooler peeps. Sorry Leon, Hope I don't add extra work to your plate!

familytoad
05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't change a thing...those categories you mention are most likely grouped because individually they just don't generate enough traffic.

If I had a wishlist, it would be that there were more things for sale. That feeling is amplified every weekend when I waste hours looking on FleaBay trying to find a real auction on something I am interested in...oh well :o

mintacular
05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
OK, surely we should just group things together based on interest. We could have a fly-fishing, southern bbq recipes, middle-east peace suggestion category lumped together. Based on your comments, that while these subjects have no logical connection they are similar in that they have limited/niche participation!

enoch47
05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Im blow away with the site. I love the ease of jumping back and forth. It really user friendly. My one wish....
is that most of the photos would be retained in pages---so that people can look through the archives and enjoy pictures still on the pages...instead of most all the pictures being removed or deleted

snider4prez
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Dude really????? Come on seems like you are trying to pick a fight here. I know I don't post much here but I read everyday and you really start a lot of threads and this one is just stupid!!! IMO is that how you say that in the internet land???? The reason I say stupid (again IMO) this site is what it is and leave it at that.

Trevor Hocking

wonkaticket
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Two words....

"Open Bar"

Cheers,

John

mcap100176
05-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Two sections just just for T206. Both under the main forum and the B/S/T.

felada
05-26-2011, 04:41 AM
I would restructure the site so people are not allowed to post multiple inane threads under the assumption that if they do not post three times a day the board will no longer exist.

Peter_Spaeth
05-26-2011, 05:19 AM
I would restructure the site so people are not allowed to post multiple inane threads under the assumption that if they do not post three times a day the board will no longer exist.

+2

53Browns
05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
The only complaint I ever had with Net54, and wanted changed, was when for awhile every time you loaded a page you had to scroll past all the cards for sale listed by year to get to the posts. But that got fixed and to me there isnt much else wrong with it. I love it!! Thanks Leon! Great job!

steve B
05-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Two words....

"Open Bar"

Cheers,

John

I'm in favor of that idea. As long as there's no tequila. that just makes people want to fight.

SteveB
Expecting the pro Tequila flames any minute now......

z28jd
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I tried to get Leon to do this awhile ago. I suggested a forum for the card of the day where a random person picked by Leon each morning would have 24 hours to post their card of the day which we would all discuss. If they didnt post within 24 hours the ghost of Ty Cobb would spike them in their sleep.

Cobb ghost = willing participant
Leon= wet blanket

novakjr
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Basketball and Hockey probably should be separated, but there's not exactly alot available pre-1980, so keeping them lumped seasonally as the "winter sports" is fine. If you were to drop the pre-80 tag, then I'd say they probably should be separated.

Now as far as an idea for a change that I could think of, would be to add wrestling to the boxing category.. Basically, Boxing/Wrestling/Martial Arts would be lumped into one category as the "fighting sports".

botn
05-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I would restructure the site based on IQ.

dstraate
05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
You could look at people's posts, and if more than 1 in 5 were condescending, rude, inflammatory, or just plain off-putting, they would automatically have this avatar.

tiger8mush
05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I would restructure the site based on IQ.

well i guess I won't be able to access much of the site then!

Since the focus of the board is on pre-war baseball cards, I think its fine that postwar, hockey, football, flyfishing, watercooler, and food recipes are lumped together. They should be thankful they were even given space on the forum! :)

p.s. Great job Leon!

barrysloate
05-26-2011, 09:34 AM
If I ran Net54 I would ban...everybody.

D. Bergin
05-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I vote for the addition of a Net54 full contact Dodgeball League to be formed ASAP.

uffda51
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I would arrange all posts alphabetically by height.

alanu
05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I really don't have any qualms with the way the site is right now, but the only suggestion I would have is to make a separate section that would include both:

"grading company discussions such as "who's better, PSA or SGC""

"ebay related discussions"

I really have no interest in reading about the above topics being discussed over and over, and I bet moving them to a separate sections would eliminate a lot of the matters discussed over and over.

-Alan

David Bender
05-26-2011, 10:14 AM
No offense but I would keep posts like these off of the card forums. Isn't this what the watercooler is for?

Matthew H
05-26-2011, 10:16 AM
No offense but I would keep posts like these off of the card forums. Isn't this what the watercooler is for?

I agree.

vintagetoppsguy
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Pat simply asked a question. Why roast him about it? He and I are both pretty new here and weren’t around in the old days. However, from what I understand, this board was restructured a couple of years ago. So, my question to those who criticized Pat is, if the board can undergo a restructure once, why not again? I’m not saying it needs to be, I’m just asking the question. There were probably those who thought the boards were fine back then, just as there are those that think the boards are fine right now. I love the boards and think they are fine the way they are, but if some people have thoughts on how the boards could be improved, shouldn’t they be heard - even if the suggestions aren’t implemented?

David Bender
05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm certainly not criticizing anybody. Leon set up the Board so that the Homepage is also the Pre-War baseball forum. That makes sense in that Pre-War is the primary purpose of the site; however, the proximity of the forum makes it easy to post OT here.

At many forum sites the home page is a list of all the forums on the site. IMHO this would help keep posts in the correct forum, if anyone cares about that. It would also help traffic in the other threads, which I believe Leon has posted about in the past. Members can bookmark the Pre-War forum (or any forum) and bypass the home page; newbies will get an overview of all Net54 has to offer before jumping into the threads.

I love Net54 either way and although I don't post much and am mostly post-war, I visit this forum every time I hit the site b/c the content is so good. Thanks to Leon and everyone who contributes.

Leon
05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Not much to say on the issue right now but I will say that I/we will always listen to thoughts. Greg S. recommended a change a few years ago that we implemented and it helped everyone. (having a separate BST section for ebay and auctions)

I also don't think this is that bad of a place to discuss this issue. Most things (O/T) in moderation aren't that bad. The board is organized better than it used to be imho.....Except for maybe putting the water cooler section below the post sports section, which no one has mentioned, I haven't seen anything mentioned that would be greatly improved with a change (again, imo).

I do very much like the idea of full contact dodge-ball though. Oh the memories....(now THAT is for the water cooler section)....regards

novakjr
05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Not much to say on the issue right now but I will say that I/we will always listen to thoughts. Greg S. recommended a change a few years ago that we implemented and it helped everyone. (having a separate BST section for ebay and auctions)

I also don't think this is that bad of a place to discuss this issue. Most things (O/T) in moderation aren't that bad. The board is organized better than it used to be imho.....Except for maybe putting the water cooler section below the post sports section, which no one has mentioned, I haven't seen anything mentioned that would be greatly improved with a change (again, imo).

I do very much like the idea of full contact dodge-ball though. Oh the memories....(now THAT is for the water cooler section)....regards

Any thoughts on the possibility of adding wresting to the boxing category, or maybe being given it's own category? There's alot of interest in wrestling cards, new or old. I also think that lumping them together could possibly open up many of the wrestling people to the boxing cards and vice versa. For a while there, I think the two kind of went hand in hand, as there were a good amount of boxers(Primo Carnera comes to mind) and athletes from other major sports who turned to pro-wrestling later in their careers. And that trend seems to have come around again with the MMA.

steve B
05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm certainly not criticizing anybody. Leon set up the Board so that the Homepage is also the Pre-War baseball forum. That makes sense in that Pre-War is the primary purpose of the site; however, the proximity of the forum makes it easy to post OT here.

At many forum sites the home page is a list of all the forums on the site. IMHO this would help keep posts in the correct forum, if anyone cares about that. It would also help traffic in the other threads, which I believe Leon has posted about in the past. Members can bookmark the Pre-War forum (or any forum) and bypass the home page; newbies will get an overview of all Net54 has to offer before jumping into the threads.

I love Net54 either way and although I don't post much and am mostly post-war, I visit this forum every time I hit the site b/c the content is so good. Thanks to Leon and everyone who contributes.

I get the list when I click through from oldcardboard.

All in all, I think everythings fine. I like the idea of adding wrestling to the boxing section, although I don't collect wrestling cards specifically. Anything that makes the section more active sounds good. Calling it combat sports....I suppose that would let us add figure skating..../too obscure?

If there was a place for the more fringe sports like cycling and skiing......
Of course, I'd probably be the only one posting, so that's not a good idea.

Steve B

Leon
05-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Any thoughts on the possibility of adding wresting to the boxing category?

Done....Probably wouldn't be enough interest for it's own category so I added /wrestling and took out the timeline since those cards will be quite new. I doubt there will be so many "new" boxing card threads that it will get too bogged down over there. Good suggestion. Easy stuff (like this), I can do. Difficult stuff, the techy guys can do. regards

mintacular
05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey Leon, really the only thing that bothers me is the postwar and watercooler together, could you de-couple those two?

wonkaticket
05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
If I ran Net54 I would ban...everybody.

Barry has my vote now theres a guy who's about TCB!

Leon
05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Leon, really the only thing that bothers me is the postwar and watercooler together, could you de-couple those two?

Not sure there is a better place and I don't want another whole new section. I am probably going to ask Brian to see if he can put the Watercooler section under the post-war one.....but those will remain in the same place otherwise for the reason given....regards

BCauley
05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't change anything. I don't like leaving my comfort zone and having to deal with change. :)

V117collector
05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I think net54baseball should have an events calendar similar to OCVB's.

Obviously there's lots of advertising on this site regarding "Auctions".
Just think about it; having a single page were you can view all acutions start date,
links and consignment deadlines. I believe this would be a great tool for all parties.

I hate missing out on acutions.

V117collector
05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I think net54baseball should have an events calendar similar to OCVB's.

Obviously there's lots of advertising on this site regarding "Auctions".
Just think about it; having a single page were you can view all acutions start date,
links and consignment deadlines. I believe this would be a great tool for all parties.

I hate missing out on acutions.

bump!:rolleyes:

GoldenAge50s
05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I think there should be a fine for every spelling error, misuse of the apostrophe, and incorrectly constructed contractions, payable every time by immediate PayPal deduction & the proceeds used to throw a Net54 party every spring at the Bruceii's mansion so we can all bring cards & help eliminate the World's Toughest Wantlist.

Abravefan11
05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I think there should be a fine...

Makes me think of...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EJJL5dxgVaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

soflphillyfan
05-29-2011, 06:12 AM
The OP is known for inane posts on other boards.

Net54 just happens to be the latest target.

With that said I move for a section on 1950s Swedish Nudist Volleyball Cards. :D