PDA

View Full Version : Help on Golf Autographs....

jg8422
05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello,

Back in 1992, I went to the U.S. Senior Open in Bethlehem, PA. While I was there, I got the program signed by Jack Nicklaus, Lee Treveno, and Al Geigberger (Mr. 59). All 3 autos were signed right in front of me and done with Sharpie markers.

I am looking to sell the item. Should I go with PSA or JSA to get the item authenticated? Is one more expensive? Is one preferred in the autograph world? Any idea of what I could get for the item if put on ebay?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Jeff

Duluth Eskimo
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Don't waste your money getting the signatures authenticated, you just said they were signed in front of you. If you list this on Ebay, you will be lucky to get $30 for it with or without the authentication. Not enough interest in signed Senior open programs.

roarfrom34
05-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree with Dutch, I'm sure the sentimental value you have in it (from being at the tournament, meeting golf legends, etc.) far exceeds any modest monetary gain you would reap.

jg8422
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I had a feeling it wouldn't go for much.

doug.goodman
05-29-2011, 03:27 PM
A sad commentary on our "hobby" that after getting these signed in person one would contemplate who would be best to pay for their "authentication" services.

Doug

jg8422
05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
True....but I guess it is a "necessary evil" if you want to sell an autographed item. I tend to focus on graded vintage cards and am not big into autographs b/c I worry too much about the authenticity of them. Just imagine how the person feels who gets an auto in person and then has an authentication company say it is no good. I even worry about people maunfacturing fake PSA labels and holders. You figure if people can counterfiet decent $100 bills, they could easily counterfeit plactic holders and labels. It is pretty scary to think about it......