PDA

View Full Version : Score 1 for the old farts!

Exhibitman
05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Watched a great fight Saturday night as Bernard Hopkins became the oldest man ever to win a major championship, the Light Heavyweight title. He went 12 rounds with Jean Pascal, a man 18 years younger, and dominated the fight. He even came out on the short end of two disputable knockdown calls (he knocked down Pascal twice IMO but the ref called them slips). Long live King B-Hop! Best quote too:

"I’m that aging car, the ’65 Lincoln with suicide doors. I got to keep the car running and keep it oiled and going around the block. I don’t have to drive it too far, but I want to keep the engine running."

http://cdn.ringtv.craveonline.com/images/stories/hopkins-pascal-action3.jpg

D. Bergin
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Always been a Bernard fan. Posting on the boxing boards I think I may be the last one left, LOL!

Best ring smarts of any fighter I've ever seen. Gets the most out of what he has left. Fights dirty but it's always controlled and with a purpose, not like most of the clutch and grabbers working today.

Pascal is legit to. Stylewise he's made for Bernard because he fights in spurts and usually tires down the stretch, but he was a legit opponent for Bernard to win a title from.

teetwoohsix
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
For sure an amazing accomplishment !!! I wonder if George is pissed :p

D. Bergin
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
For sure an amazing accomplishment !!! I wonder if George is pissed :p

They kept on mentioning during the fight that George was watching and rooting for Hopkins.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know. George is much surlier behind the scenes then the on camera persona he's cultivated throughout the past couple decades.