PDA

View Full Version : B-18 Blanket ?

Big Ben
05-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I have always liked the B18 blankets since I purchased some at a card show in the mid 1980's. Does anyone have any tips as to how to spot a fake B18?
Do any of the grading companies grade the B18's?

Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions.:)

scooter729
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen any fake B-18 blankets in any mass production. I'm sure with technology it could be done, but because of the felt material and the lower prices of these blankets vs. cards, the B-18's haven't been a target for most scammers.

I'm not aware of any of the grading companies which grade these, but you'll want to watch edges for fraying, fading to the whole blanket, stitch holes around the edges (many people back in the day sewed these into larger quilts, so some blankets have been detached from quilts, but now have stitch holes all around the edges), etc.

If you want to see some scans, I have an album of many of the blankets at the link below...

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/scooter0729/B18%20Blankets/

AndyG09
05-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure SGC grades them only as authentic, with no numerical designation. They look pretty sweet in the slab too!

Best,

Andy

t206wagner
05-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I thought there is a reproduction of the Joe Jackson felt, but the colors are different and it is marked as a reprint in the border. I could be mistaken though.

Big Ben
05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your input.

I was assuming that there were reprints of some kind out there. It always pays to be cautious! :)