PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to out a bad ebay auction here?

jimq
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
My father in law bought a 53T Mantle PSA 1 a few weeks ago, and when it arrived it was a cracked slab with a reprint inside. He filed a paypal claim and got a refund, but now the card is back on ebay listed under a different user ID in the same small town.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing to out the auction here? I'm a long time lurker but never ran into this before so I don't know if it's appropriate and don't want to step on toes.

scooter729
05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Please do give the details - if it's something that can help the overall community, it certainly can't hurt to post the info!

jimq
05-22-2011, 02:22 PM
He won http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=180650327074&nma=true&rt=nc&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_fro m%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D1806 50327074%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&si=V6ZxM%252FL04r8PCSURatBbbib8FxQ%253D for $346 on April 13. When the card arrived he called me and said there was a problem, that the bottom of the holder was cracked apart and the card isn't right. He needed only the Mantle and Mays to complete the set, not a newbie on 53 topps although he's pretty new at graded cards. He took it to 2 different dealers who both told him it was a counterfeit/reprint.

Paypal gave a refund and had him return the card.

Now the same card is listed on ebay, ending today, and it's currently at $305. Different seller, but both sellers are located in Grethel, KY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150605759063&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I guess more than anything I just wanted to send out a warning.

53Browns
05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
It's one of the reasons for this forum imo. Sharing info to benefit the collector's. Not the scumbags.

Big Ben
05-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Also the description of the card is identical in both listings!

e107collector
05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Just like the post above - the descriptions are the same.

JIMQ - Can you post a pic of the slab and flip?

The seller may have the authentic card that PSA graded, but is making reprints of the card, and using fake flips.

Tony

E93
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I would report it to ebay if I were you.
JimB

jimq
05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I was on chat with ebay, on the phone with them, and emailed trust and safety several times. They assured me it would be ended and nobody would be cheated.

My father in law lives across the country from me, and took photos but no clear scans. He said the holder came apart as he took it out of the holder.

I wish I had an alt ebay acct to big high enough to win, hopefully whoever wins it uses paypal and knows a fake when they see it.

Ebay doesn't seem to care very much. Always use a credit card and paypal for 2 levels of protection I guess.

dherm360
05-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I sent message and stated the case appears to be cracked--

their response "down side but nothing to effect the card."

ArchStanton
05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Jim,

The same thing happened to me about two years ago with a Clemente rookie. You may remember it from the PSA boards. I have the crook's contact info. He was buying PSA graded cards, cracking them and replacing them with copies. He would then send the card to Beckett for grading and sell both. So, maybe check for the real card being sold on ebay recently.

I also have contact info for US Postal Inspectors. No one really cares much, but they did follow up with me. Feel free to PM.

jimq
05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi - yep, I remember that and all the cracked and fake psa slabs on Craigslist from a couple years ago.

He told my father in law that he bought it recently on ebay and it's exactly how he bought it. I don't have VCP and don't know if that would help.

If I was in the market for a 53T mantle in psa 1 (I'm not since I have a much better one - mine's a 2!) I would look at closed auctions. If that happened you would see the same card with a different seller and bad feedback.

I hope nobody gets hurt too bad. Ebay was no help.

vintagetoppsguy
05-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I was on chat with ebay, on the phone with them, and emailed trust and safety several times. They assured me it would be ended and nobody would be cheated.

My father in law lives across the country from me, and took photos but no clear scans. He said the holder came apart as he took it out of the holder.

I wish I had an alt ebay acct to big high enough to win, hopefully whoever wins it uses paypal and knows a fake when they see it.

Ebay doesn't seem to care very much. Always use a credit card and paypal for 2 levels of protection I guess.

I reported this fake '53 Mantle a few weeks ago. Clearly a fake as the red box that contains Mantle's name stops before the left border. It is supposed to go all the way to the left border. Used the eBay live chat and they really didn't seem to care and also assured me that nobody would be scammed. eBay just doesn't seem to give a damn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item27ba166186&item=170625753478&nma=true&pt=US_Baseball&rt=nc&si=xuUpIp5xo1HpUtQmOJ5a2UrBSf4%253D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKnUE2ZRS54(fBNnmhU)Ufg~~_1.GIF