PDA

View Full Version : UNsolicited EM re: Steinbrenner using NET54 addys

GoldenAge50s
05-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Looks like several of us got these EM's, apparently using Net54 some way or another to get EM addys--probably from the Vintage links page. I think this is the first time (at least for me) that I have received what appears to be a mass mailing using Net54 to secure EM addresses.

For those that didn't get one here is the text:

Hello ,

My mother has a collection of nineteen letters from a college age George Steinbrenner. These letters were blocked by the NY Yankees from being displayed in the Baseball Hall of Fame this past year. She would now like to sell them to a collector.

The NY Times did several stories about her letters,
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/sports/baseball/16ohio.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/sports/baseball/15steinbrenner.html

Ron Blum of the AP also covered the story nationally,
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=11972951

And just this last week Business Insider did a follow-up story,
http://www.businessinsider.com/george-steinbrenner-letter-2011-5

These letters provide an early look into the life of one of baseball’s most controversial icons. While the Yankees are more than happy to purchase them from her she would prefer that a collector have them so they can be seen.

If you know anyone interested in this rare collectible please let me know. She would like to sell them within the next several days.

Thank you,
Michael Schriner

I have all the ID's this went to, and probably more are included. Just wanted to make aware of where this unwanted solicitation apparently originated

Here is the EBay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170642649863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Rich Klein
05-21-2011, 01:59 PM
It's not a problem -- I sent a nice email just suggesting that if they needed immediate sales I could help point them in the right direction or their best bet was to cosign them to an auction house.

From the link to the EBay offering, the biggest issue may be the amount of money they are asking for -- I think that what she is asking for one letter is approximately what the whole grouping of letters would be worth. There are enough Steinbrenner signatures out there that a price of $100-200 per letter makes sense with perhaps a slight uptick for the handwritten and personal part of said letters.

And yes, if anyone is interesting to talking to them directly -- I'll be happy to provide their email address -- but I think these would be better served as action lot (s) in an auction house

Regards
Rich Klein

Who is honored to be included in that email :)

GoldenAge50s
05-21-2011, 02:21 PM
The one I got contained/went to 14 Net54 addys.

bigtrain
05-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I agree with Rich. I cannot see anyone paying $2500 for one of those letters. I also doubt that they would have been "put on display" at the Hall of Fame. More likely they would have ended up filed away.

slidekellyslide
05-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I got the same email...I wondered how they got my email address.

GoldenAge50s
05-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Just for the record, it's obvious for sure that they used our members list as my EM of 14 names is in the exact same order of our members listing.

I realize our EM addys are there because we put them there, it's just the 1st time I've seen them used for a mass solicitation such as this & wanted to make you aware of how they got your name..

Rich Klein
05-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Many times the SABR ED, John Zazc, would give people my email address when they had a baseball card question. He knew I would help the people involved and steer them in the right direction.

I did write back to them and again stressed the auction house part. The young man claimed in the EMail that the Yankees offered them $30K --- and I told him that if that was so, the odds are that would be as much as they would get from anyone else ----

As an aside, back in my dealing days, when I managed/owned a store in the 1980's -- many times a person would come in and say they had been offered "x" amount -- when in realty what they said they had been offered, was close to the full 100 percent retail value ----- if not more ----

That sounds like this scenario again

Rich

RichardSimon
05-21-2011, 06:53 PM
When I got the e mail, and looked at the ebay link, I told him not at those prices and explained that HOFers are where the money is and since George never will be a HOFer he was asking way too much. Also the letters contained no baseball content of course.
The guy wrote me back and called me a jerk, asking if I wanted them for free and if I wanted free postage too.
Some people, you just can't help.

RichardSimon
05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Many times the SABR ED, John Zazc, would give people my email address when they had a baseball card question. He knew I would help the people involved and steer them in the right direction.

I did write back to them and again stressed the auction house part. The young man claimed in the EMail that the Yankees offered them $30K --- and I told him that if that was so, the odds are that would be as much as they would get from anyone else ----

As an aside, back in my dealing days, when I managed/owned a store in the 1980's -- many times a person would come in and say they had been offered "x" amount -- when in realty what they said they had been offered, was close to the full 100 percent retail value ----- if not more ----

That sounds like this scenario again

Rich

Rich - If I had a dollar for everyone who has said to me "I have been offered $x" and $x was a ridiculous number, then I could retire now.
Rather than respond to people like that I use my common sense and invoke the first Mark Twain quote in my signature.

GoldenAge50s
05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
He told someone else I know that the Yankees offered $50K---seems as tho he is throwing numbers around a bit loosely. The realization is he's not going to get anything close to that type of money, even at auction!

RichardSimon
05-21-2011, 07:00 PM
He told someone else I know that the Yankees offered $50K---seems as tho he is throwing numbers around a bit loosely. The realization is he's not going to get anything close to that type of money, even at auction!

Fred - you are being kind when you say he is throwing numbers around a bit loosely. "White man speak with forked tongue" would be my term for what he is doing.

GoldenAge50s
05-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Richard--

Maybe "playing both ends against the middle" is more accurate. I don't blame ANYONE for trying to get as much as they can, but when no one has bid even $2500 for 1 of the letters & he has been told by various hobby contacts that the asking price is way too high & they aren't worth the $50 to $75K some of those articles & comments led him to believe, he doesn't need to tell falsehoods along the way.

Big Dave
05-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Haven't received any e-mails on these items. Guess I'mm down on the list.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Rich Klein
05-22-2011, 07:25 AM
One aspect:

I do think George Steinbrenner will be in the HOF Some day. Having said that, I think they are trying to get as much as they can for the items but I'll reiterate what I said to them in each email.

The best bet for them will be to got an hobby auction house who can help them sell their items.

RIch

jb217676
05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I got this email too, just ignored it.
Jeff

Leon
05-22-2011, 07:49 AM
The person sending those emails emailed me privately telling me what he did and apologizing for it. I hope he doesn't do it any more.

While we are here there was an idiot on another chat board that insinuated other chat boards might sell or give out contact info. That is not something Net54baseball has ever done or will ever do. If your contact info is on the links page then it is there....otherwise it's in a very private file. Again, I/we have never sold or given that info out for commercial type purposes. It has been given out on a specific basis, when warranted, with regard to board happenings. regards

slidekellyslide
05-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I'll go on record and say that this email did not bother me one bit...in fact I learned a little about George Steinbrenner that I didn't know. I also believe he'll be in the hall of fame someday...and I also disagree with Richard that Hall of Famers are where the money is...it won't matter one iota if Steinbrenner makes it to the Hall of Fame, his signature will be sought after because of his place in baseball history.

Anyone got any cheap Buck Weaver autos they want to sell me? :D