PDA

View Full Version : 1939 play ball sample question

sycks22
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I was wondering does anyone know where to find prices on '39 Play Ball sample cards? Do they generally go for more or less than the regular issue? I appreciate any help. I saw VCP doesn't have them listed.

ls7plus
05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Sorry I can't be more up to date, Pete, but the 2007edition of the Standard Catalog (I only buy it every few years, because the price ranges are at best marginally accurate in any event) indicates as follows:

"Collectors will pay a small premium for a type card of a common player.
Sample cards of most star players sell for about double the price of the
regular issue cards, while DiMaggio and Williams samples sell for about
the same price as their regular issue cards."

With the growing trend for increased values for tougher T206 card backs, however, the above quote may well be conservative. I would assume, however, that type card collectors would be satisfied with a common. As a hall-of-fame collector, I think the Williams would be a neat variation of his rookie to have, and probably would pay a significant premium for one with nice eye appeal.

Good luck in your hunt,

Larry

sycks22
05-19-2011, 04:35 AM
I appreciate the info

vargha
05-19-2011, 06:04 AM
The reality is that you can find them sometimes for the same price as their "non-sample" counterparts. However, a good rule of thumb in purchasing them is +50% for commons, +10-15% for stars and HOF, and no premium on Williams and DiMaggio. Anything in those price ranges is reasonably priced.