PDA

View Full Version : An ebay question for collectors

tbob
05-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I recently put on some cards for auction on ebay and when I checked the completed listings in the category, noticed a huge amount of "card dumping" by dealers with BINs. I was just wondering 1) do collectors use the "auctions only" feature to bypass these monthly or even bi-monthly listings of dealer inventory and 2) does anyone else get frustrated when someone like Mike Wheat Cards lists the same cards with the same overblown BINs over and over again?
Just wondering. Thanks.
tbob

ullmandds
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I usually use the auctions only option when searching...and yes...it is quite annoying to see these virtual museums on ebay...for me. I could see it as a resource for some who may never have seen some of these cards.

collectbaseball
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I use the auctions only search 100% of the time!

T2069bk
05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
If I am just scanning I limit it to the auctions. However, I usually set double searches when looking for a particular card or player - one for auction items and one for BIN's- that way I can see if any new BIN gems come in.

Robextend
05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I search using both BIN and Auctions and sort by "Newly Listed". I would hate to only search through auctions when there could be a great BIN listed. I have been able to pick up a couple BIN items at great prices (at least I think so) in the last month.

T206Collector
05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I think you have to look at both ends of the equation -- if you want something, you'll do searches in both worlds. I do agree, however, that if I am casually looking to pick up something, I'll often flip it to just a straight auction format.

However, I second the notion that good deals can be had via BIN on ebay, though it is somewhat rare. Just today, I picked up this beauty for what I thought was a solid price:

T2069bk
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
not Mike Wheat or Joes Vintage or others posting a lot of BINs (In full disclosure I have bought numerous items from both and with great results and at great prices!!!)but sorting through the graded 50's-70's and reprints!!!!! Those are the real grind!!!!!

dstraate
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Auctions only for this guy. No time to wade through all the 40K Goudey Ruths in PSA 4

VinTX
05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I get tired of all the reprints too but I find that if I just do a search and in the search description type -reprint at the end it works pretty good. Doing that will have the search results eliminate anything that has the word reprint in the title. Obviously this only works if they PUT reprint in the title, but it still helps!

Can work for anything else too...

As far as the BIN vs. Auction thing, I search both because a lot of times I can find stuff with BIN OBO and a lot of sellers (not all) are pretty good about taking reasonable offers on stuff so both people go home happy.

deadballera
05-18-2011, 02:26 PM
auctions only...unless I am looking for something specific, and will sometimes filter with price range.

HRBAKER
05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Auctions Only for me for my daily perusal.
Maybe once or twice a week will I go the full route just to see if anything new pops up, rarely does usually just roll over of the same overpriced inventory that ebay encourages in order to keep their listing numbers high.

almostdone
05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I usually look through both auction and BIN at first but then lean toward the auction. However, I always ask a BIN dealer first if the price listed is the best they can do even if they don't have the OBO option. I would say over 75% of the time sellers will come down off of the BIN price. Sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes more but it never hurts to just ask.
Drew

BCauley
05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
When on ebay, I initially do a quick scan of all to see the number available. I then look at the auctions and decide if I want any of those. I might then look for a BIN though it is not often that I go this route and prefer to either watch the B/S/T on here, check the dealers on the vintage links above, or just wait for an auction to pop up.

ls7plus
05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I usually look through both auction and BIN at first but then lean toward the auction. However, I always ask a BIN dealer first if the price listed is the best they can do even if they don't have the OBO option. I would say over 75% of the time sellers will come down off of the BIN price. Sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes more but it never hurts to just ask.
Drew

I've had good luck with this method also.

Larry

T206DK
05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
the first thing I do after a search is hit the auctions only tab !! it immediately filters out most of the overpriced BIN's that have been on Ebay since 2004 in some cases

David W
05-19-2011, 05:35 AM
I hit the auctions only tab as well, to filter out all the overpriced BIN's.

I've got several items on my watch list that are way overpriced, and have been on my watch list for a year.

Every 3-4 months I make an offer of 75% BIN and it always gets auto rejected.

So, I guess I'll just wait for inflation to kick in, and in a couple more years those BIN's will be priced about right.