PDA

View Full Version : Cannon 8800 Scanner Some Help here

Donscards
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I heard many good reviews on the Cannon 8800F Scanner--I just hooked mine up and the scans aren't any better than my HP 1410---they look the same--I am using 300dpi--tried the 600 didnt help---anyone give me a tip here on how to improve scans---thanks Don---I uploaded a psa banks scan

GoldenAge50s
05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
One reason is both scanners have a CCD scan element (I believe), so you are not going to see much difference.

The use of a '55B Banks with the dull background is not the best choice for a test---try are more colorful card

Try scanning @ 200 dpi & adjust contrast & sharpen just a tiny bit.

Your Banks is not that bad!---but try another card w/ a more defined background.

terjung
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Sometimes scanning with the lid up can add contrast to the border - especially on PSA slabs.

You scan doesn't look bad to me either.

Donscards
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info the scan on here is better than the same one on ebay--ebay scans are not coming out as good----

Donscards
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
One reason is both scanners have a CCD scan element (I believe), so you are not going to see much difference.

The use of a '55B Banks with the dull background is not the best choice for a test---try are more colorful card

Try scanning @ 200 dpi & adjust contrast & sharpen just a tiny bit.

Your Banks is not that bad!---but try another card w/ a more defined background.====Is the ccd scan element the good one

Ladder7
05-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Likely too much reflection. Scan with the lid open.

Jaybird
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
seems like there is a setting somewhat off. I see a "screen door effect" which shows some pixelation rather than a clear image. Sometimes this happens with too high a resolution but since you're only at 300dpi, I don't think that would be the problem.

Are you set to color photo scanning or film scanning? Film scanning is typically for negatives so if you're on that, it could be causing a problem.

Here's a recent scan of mine from the same model scanner (lid up).

Donscards
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
That is a great scan--yes I am on color photo---do you use the pdf buttons or the regular scanning---it also has mp navigator ex------I have used the presto buttons---also the cropping is a problem at times I am trying all the diff. versions but not getting the great scans---if you look at my ebay name donscards7---I scanned 8 psa cards today what do u think of the scans thanks in advance---Don

Jaybird
05-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I use the MP Navigator Ex. It scans the image and then you have an option to save it. You go to "Scan/Import", then click on Photos/Documents.

Then another window opens where you click "Open Scanner Driver". When you are in the scanner Driver window, you can set all of your options.

I normally hit "Preview" which scans the whole glass. Then you can take your cursor and double click and create a crop box just around the card that you want to scan. Then hit "Scan" and it will scan just that area. If I'm going to scan a lot of the same size cards, I'll tape a piece of paper around the area that I'm going to scan so that I know exactly where to place the cards and then I can continue to scan one after the other until I'm done.

there is an "Advanced Mode" tab in the upper right hand corner of the Scanner DRiver Window which allows you to specify dpi and corrections, etc. I don't have any corrections on mine.

Hope this helps. It seems complicated but I've got it to a point where I just put the card on the scanner and click Preview, set the box and then hit scan. Then save it where I want it.
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/jasonleemiller/Screenshot2011-05-18atMay1815228PM.png

GoldenAge50s
05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes, the CCD is the one you want--and have!