PDA

View Full Version : Does this look fishy to anyone else...

53Browns
05-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Must be real though, got it from Grandpa...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-ROGER-MARIS-HAND-AUTO-BALL-/250820989126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a661890c6

bigtrain
05-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Why would Maris be at a "Yankee press meeting" in the late 60's? He only played with them until '66.

D. Broughman
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM
HIS GRANDFATHER HAD IT SINGED IN A YANKEES PRESS METING. WHAT LOOKS FISHY ABOUT THAT:rolleyes:

GrayGhost
05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
HIS GRANDFATHER HAD IT SINGED IN A YANKEES PRESS METING. WHAT LOOKS FISHY ABOUT THAT:rolleyes:

I never understood why some people can't spell, especially with easy words like signed and meeting. We all rush at times, but man, try and look professional when selling something. Use spellcheck or something.

The autographs look pretty good to me, but I'm not sure. Of course Maris may have been invited to the meeting, if it was Mantle day or something, o'wise, like previously stated, he wasn't a Yankee after 66

Big Dave
05-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Don't believe Mantle or Maris signed that ball.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

53Browns
05-17-2011, 08:19 AM
The sigs look "forced" to me. Just my opinion. But I bought a bad Mantle ball once and hate to see anyone else get stuck.

steve B
05-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I never understood why some people can't spell, especially with easy words like signed and meeting. We all rush at times, but man, try and look professional when selling something. Use spellcheck or something.

The autographs look pretty good to me, but I'm not sure. Of course Maris may have been invited to the meeting, if it was Mantle day or something, o'wise, like previously stated, he wasn't a Yankee after 66

I usually let spelling slide. I type rather poorly myself, and at the moment my keyboard is a bit too far left of center on the desk. Also, when I'm trying to type quickly double letters often don't happen. I could adjust the keyboard to be more sensitive, but that only makes other errors worse. Hopefully getting a computer desk soon will fix some of that. On top of that I rarely use spellcheck. My other hobbies have enough obscure technical terms that spellcheck doesn't know that it's not much help. And set to auto correct makes a total jumble of things. Now the mixing of tenses that some people use like "Needs restored" made me a bit crazy till I found out it's a common thing in some regions. That one is apparently common aroung Pittsburg.

The ball - That's right, it's supposed to be about the ball. It just doesn't look right to me.

Steve B

Mr. Zipper
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Listing has been removed.

Looked like a pretty ham-fisted fake to me.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
People! People! Maris might have just stopped by to see Mick that hot summer day in the late 1960's. Please be more forgiving in future posts.

You're all ignoring perhaps the most miraculous facet of this story:

This seller's grandfather actually travelled to the future, mind you, and purchased a Rawlings Official National League ball. And he had the foresight to ask Maris to sign the sweet spot! His grandson must be so proud.

Mollys Dad
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Jodi's right! Why didnt I think of that?? I'm sure he ran into Doc Brown and hitched a ride...