PDA

View Full Version : Stars in Your Sets...

mintacular
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Are the Stars HOFers Key Cards RCs, etc in better, equal, or worse condition than the rest of the commons. Thanks for sharing.

almostdone
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
A number of years ago I put together a 1955 Topps set. For the most part the stars were in better condition because I knew I would focus on these more in the future as well as the fact that I purchased many lots of commons and was just trying to complete the set.
The key stars (to me at least) were the ones I focused on condition. Clemente and Koufax rookies, Jackie Robinson and Ted Williams to be precise. This was my first venture into vintage cards and had never owned any cards of these (my favorites) players before this so I didn't just want any old worn out used card. I wanted the cards I dreamed of owning in my youth to look like the ones in my dreams.
Drew

39special
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree.I try to get the key cards in the best condition possible.It may take awhile, but to me it is worth the wait.

hangman62
05-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I also think ...try to get the key cards/ high value cards..as nice as possible.
Ive learned 1st hand how bad it hurts when trying to sell a vintage set and the Mays and Mantle are F-P.

dherm360
05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I try to pick a condition, say PSA 7, complete the set then upgrade key cards when possible

Big Six
05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
for my Diamond Stars, I've been focused on PSA 5s and 6s...and that includes the stars. For the 54 Topps, I'm aiming for minimum of PSA 7s...in short, it's just going to take time to build a consistent set...

BearBailey
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd like to say I keep a set as consistent as possible, But in looking through a few sets I tend to go higher for the rookies especially, and most of the key cards as well. So for a 1968 topps set that is NM or better, The bench rc, Ryan Rc, Mantle and Rose were all PSA 8. For a 1957 Topps set Exmt or better, the Robinson Rc's were PSA 7s, and most of the stars were Psa 6, with a few 7s thrown in. I try and get the rookies and key cards as high as possible, so I don't have to upgrade down the road.

vintagetoppsguy
05-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Are the Stars HOFers Key Cards RCs, etc in better, equal, or worse condition than the rest of the commons. Thanks for sharing.

I collect raw sets with the key cards graded by SGC. The key cards are generally equal to the rest of the commons as far as condition goes, however I do strive for better eye appeal on the key cards. For example, my '50s sets are all a pretty consistant EX throughout with all key cards graded SGC 60-80, but I am not as picky on the commons on things like centering. I don't want any mis-cuts, but I'll accept anything 75/25 or better. However, all of the key cards are pretty close to 50/50 - no worse than 60/40.