PDA

View Full Version : Question About 1963 Topps Mickey Mantle

IronHorse2130
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I have a friend who has a 1963 Topps Mickey Mantle error card. The reverse has info/stats for Billy O'Dell. He also has a card with O'Dell on the front and Mantle stats on the reverse. I've looked online to help him with a rough value but have found nothing. There was one on eBay for $495.00 that did not sell. I'd say the card is VG-, probably worth around $65-75 if it was not an error.

Thanks for the Help!

Ben

ALR-bishop
05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I collect errors and variations to my sets, but have stayed away from wrong backs and blank backs ( other than proofs like the 67 Maris Yankee) because there are a lot of them and they are more random than a repeating error or variation cards. Some folks do collect them, and the fact it is a Mantle would count for something, but from my experience a regular Mantle card is likely to bring more than the error unless some die hard Mantle collector is into wrong backs. But, I could easily be, and often am, wrong

David W
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm a player collector (Lou Brock) and I'd buy a wrong back Brock for my collection. How much of a premium, I don't know, but probably not much more
than the regular card in the set in the same condition went for, as it is not really a variation, just a printing error.

But some obsessed Mantle collector might pay bunches for it.

The fact that there is apparently one on Ebay that didn't sell for $495 tells you it's not worth that much.

I'd guess 1.5 to 2x the value.

doug.goodman
05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I collect errors and variations to my sets, but have stayed away from wrong backs and blank backs ( other than proofs like the 67 Maris Yankee) because there are a lot of them and they are more random than a repeating error or variation cards. Some folks do collect them, and the fact it is a Mantle would count for something, but from my experience a regular Mantle card is likely to bring more than the error unless some die hard Mantle collector is into wrong backs. But, I could easily be, and often am, wrong

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will admit to a slight curiosity about the "matched pair" though.

Doug

IronHorse2130
05-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to pass along the info to my friend.

ls7plus
05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I kind of like the matched pair aspect, too.

Larry

1963Topps Set
11-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I have a 1963 Topps wrongback of Ken Hubbs / Jim Umbricht, neither lived to see the opening of the 1964 season! I have over 40 wrongbacks from the '63 set, and have the Mantle / O'Dell combo mentioned above. I have not paid very much for the wrongbacks, there are very few who seem to collect error cards.

Bestdj777
11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I like the wrong back and/or blank back Mantle cards and am always a buyer if anyone wants to part with them for reasonable prices.