PDA

View Full Version : S74 Question

cliftons8
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
How can you tell if a white s74 is rebacked? Since many collect them with the back on, I assume you would not try to peel it to see if has been glued. Do the grading companies know the difference, and does it matter to you?

Mike

Leon
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I collect them a little bit and I am not sure you can have a rebacked one. I have never even thought about it. There isn't that much money in them, usually, to warrant all that work. I think one would look cruddy if it were tried but I have never tried or even seen one that was tried. Will be interesting to see if someone on the board has heard or seen one that has been rebacked. For some reason I can't imagine one being done that way..but I guess anything is possible. Good question...

andybecker
04-30-2011, 03:14 PM
i have seen a rebacked old mill cobb.....i believe at the chicago national 4-5 years ago. it looked horrible and would only fool a novice.

i think it would be almost impossible to make a good fake that was proper in size.

grading companies should spot fakes very quickly....assuming the grader has actually handled a few with the backs.