PDA

View Full Version : More crap - Ebay seller vintage reprints

Shoeless Moe
04-27-2011, 08:55 PM
check out their completed listings as well, more garbage entering the hobby

http://cgi.ebay.com/LATE-1800S-Charles-Commiskey-Very-Faded-old-rp-/180658423046?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a1014c506

53Browns
04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
ALL reprints are filthy garbage IMO. Even that Helmar trash. Not good for the hobby.

dstraate
04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm with you as far as hating reprints. I personally can't lump Helmar in that category as they are very clear that what they are selling is not a reprint. Either way, someday at the Net54 gathering before the national, there should be a bonfire where everybody can have a beer by the firelight of burning Goudey Ruths and Gehrigs.

collectbaseball
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
The Comiskey guy clearly states it's a reprint, which is a lot better than the people who say, "found in grandpaw's attic but I know nothing of sports cards so it's sold as is." That Comiskey card will almost certainly be sold that way in the next few weeks. The thing that frustrates me about the Helmar people is that they list the era as "Pre-WWII" which I think is a little misleading and clutters up my searches. Some of the Helmar things sell for hundreds of dollars, which is absurd -- it would be one thing if they were original paintings, but they're not (as far as I know?). I don't think they'd be reaching those prices if the listings weren't at least a little misleading. I don't like any of this nonsense!

steve B
04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
A few of the Helmar things are actual card size paintings. I looked at a few when they were doing some T206 style, but they were just too expensive.

To me it's not the reprints themselves, but the way they're sold. The commercially produced sets of various T cards seem interesting, but selling abused single cards is just odd.

Steve B

Kawika
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
To each their own. I like 'em a lot.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/bbhofthefirstclass/large/Helmar%20Conlon%20Cobb.jpg

53Browns
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't get me wrong. I think Helmar pieces look awesome. The reason I think they are bad for the hobby is that somewhere along the line some poor sap is going to pay big $ for one, thinking or being led to think, that it is a period piece.

Kawika
04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't get me wrong. I think Helmar pieces look awesome. The reason I think they are bad for the hobby is that somewhere along the line some poor sap is going to pay big $ for one, thinking or being led to think, that it is a period piece.

I knew what I was getting into. As for the poor saps, it probably would be better if Mr. Mandel put a copyright date on the back of the card.

Leon
04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I knew what I was getting into. As for the poor saps, it probably would be better if Mr. Mandel put a copyright date on the back of the card.

We would then get to see a telltale sign (erasure) where the copyright date had been removed :(.

hunterdutchess
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
We would then get to see a telltale sign (erasure) where the copyright date had been removed :(.

Most of the Helmar cards I see do not have a year on them: http://cgi.ebay.com/R319-Helmar-BIG-LEAGUE-Satchel-Paige-Indians-HOF-43-/120714108342?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c1b1f1db6#ht_1153wt_1131

There is no way that every Helmar card being sold is not being bidded on by someone who thinks that it is a prewar printed item. I also like them and envy the skills the creator has but I feel that ageing them to look like they are old is misleading. You have to ask yourself if they sold them in mint condition and put 2011 on the back would they reach the dollar amounts that they are selling for? I say no.

novakjr
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so. These are flat out counterfeit. Nothing more, nothing less. Every one of these should be removed from ebay because they are NOT authorized reprints. Buying these, only fuels these a**holes to keep making 'em..

hunterdutchess
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so. These are flat out counterfeit. Nothing more, nothing less. Every one of these should be removed from ebay because they are NOT authorized reprints. Buying these, only fuels these a**holes to keep making 'em..

Well at least these guy's are honest: http://sports-cards.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fake&_sacat=212&LH_Auction=1&_sop=16&_odkw=rp&_osacat=212&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

BCauley
04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
So, thejudyshore sells this one to rcinvestmentsinc, leaving feedback for the buyer on April 22nd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180656822663&si=ct3vKuvPl29DJqOlMzEk4HV113g%253D&viewitem=

Now, this one looks very similar (please correct me if I'm wrong, they look to be the same). This one is for sale by one feedback person balooandbogey who happens to be in the same town as the person who sold the above auction thejudyshore. However, they still state that it is a reprint. Unless they are just trying to build feedback for whatever reason, I don't get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-Babe-Ruth-149-Very-Poor-Card-Please-L-K-r-/140541100751?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20b8e702cf

collectbaseball
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so.

I think the images on the cards/the design are in the public domain now (anything pre-1923, anyway). But I think someone making reprints would need to have a license from the MLB to incorporate team names/logos, and possibly permission from players' estates.

teetwoohsix
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I think the images on the cards/the design are in the public domain now (anything pre-1923, anyway). But I think someone making reprints would need to have a license from the MLB to incorporate team names/logos, and possibly permission from players' estates.

Maybe that's the case with this card, although it says "reprint" at the bottom of the card, there's no indication of who made it or where it was made. Would this be considered a fake reprint, or an authorized reprint?

PolarBear
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Some of that Helmar stuff is awesome.