PDA

View Full Version : 1919 BlackSox PC in SCP - Does This Look Right?

Matt
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=14784

Do those postcards look right to you? I can't put my finger on it, but something seems off...

Ladder7
04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Agreed. Perhaps it's the pessimist in me. But, something just seems rotten in the state of Denmark.

Shoeless Moe
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
at least it's not going to The Human Fund.

Matt
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Agreed. Perhaps it's the pessimist in me. But, something just seems rotten in the state of Denmark.

I can't put my finger on it. Is it that they both were sent the same day to the same recipient? The pencil looks very fresh. The way the sender hand wrote a line to divide the backs? the image on the front also doesn't sit right with me.

slidekellyslide
04-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think it's unusual that he sent the postcards on the same day..perhaps he wanted his friend to have both the Reds and White Sox cards so he wrote one before the game and the other after the game was over. I have thousands of old postcards (Non-baseball related) and just thumbed through a bunch of them to look for pencil and they all appear to be fresh as if they could have been written today too so I dont' think that's a factor either.

Even though I've not seen this postcard design before I think these are real.

edited to add: I also just found a postcard that was undivided where the individual drew a line separating the message from the address.

Matt
04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks Dan. I certainly defer to you on PC knowledge.

Brian Campf
04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Deleted

canjond
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Brian... looks to me like it says "...mowed under".

HRBAKER
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
"The Reds are my boys. It looks as if these fellows [White Sox] were snowed under."

Oh, how little did they know. :D

slidekellyslide
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I'll bet these cards were sold at or around the ballpark.

slidekellyslide
04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
A third example of the White Sox postcard:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/1136.html

My guess is that since the program and scorecard were sold in the same lot they came from a consignor who found them together which might be more evidence that the postcards were sold at the park...possibly inside the Chicago program.

Matt
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Here's another. Postal use during the Series (day of game 2) with notable baseball content (the message reads, "The Reds are my boys. It looks as if these fellows [White Sox] were snowed under. Will see them perform here the next three days as I was lucky enough to get a reserved seat.")

Brian - that PC with that content is fantastic!