PDA

View Full Version : REA Question

margoaepi
04-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I am interested in some of the letters in this auction, particularly #s 1055 and 1023, but do not care for the displays. The description says that they have been mounted likely by adhesive tape. Is this code for "you better like how they are displayed because taking them off will probably ruin the item".

barrysloate
04-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Nearly all tape can be carefully removed, but to play it safe you might want to let a paper conservator do it. He will charge you a fee but it will likely be nominal and you won't have to worry about damaging it. Hopefully whoever framed it used the proper acid free tape.

margoaepi
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks Barry. Its not the tape so much that would bother me, as I would simply want to take them out of those horrible frames and display them more simply.

barrysloate
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree Josh. Not everyone likes things framed. I would take it out too.

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Buying pre-framed items can be great from a resale standpoint, but there's all that extra S&H to worry about. Also, there's always risk of glass breaking during shipping, no matter how carefully the items may be packed. It never hurts to ask the seller if they would be willing to remove the items from the frames prior to shipping.

barrysloate
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Several months ago I had to ship a large photograph that was framed. I told the buyer I did not want to send it with the glass. I removed the pane, and from a roll of mylar I have I cut a piece the exact size of the glass. The photo was entirely protected, and with no fear of breakage. I do think that shipping glass is a very dangerous prospect, even if the box is well packed. If you win the letter you might ask REA to remove it from the frame before shipping it, assuming you don't want it at all.