PDA

View Full Version : Question for the group -- PayPal

Rich Klein
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
In two of my last attempts at transactions involving money; the transactions never got done-- and in both cases it was due to me either explaining to a person that I'm not on pay pal and don't make payments that way or that I'm not on pay pal and don't accept payments that way.

I have never wanted to have pay pal -- and just wanted to check, based on some of the horror stories I have heard -- whether or not -- not having an electronic pay pal account was the way to go

Thanks in advance for your advice on this

Rich

Jaybird
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't mind it. Find it rather easy and actually easier to keep track of than checks but I also don't mind waiting for a check to clear.

It's more of a timing thing. If you're willing to wait and the other party is willing to wait, then a check in the mail is fine. If both parties want to get it done quicker and someone needs the money NOW, then that's probably where you're getting resistance.

LanceRoten
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
It's something of a necessary evil this day and time. I use them as little as possible yet always put "paypal preferred" because seems as though 99.9999999999999999% of the population wants to use paypal. I lost confidence in paypal(and ebay) totally last year when they started haphazardly holding funds for up to 21 days without any reasonable explanation. I still like, and quite honestly prefer, money orders :)

Leon
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
To me it's like having a Mastercard AND a Discover. Some places don't take Discover, which I always try to use to get my 2% back, so the Mastercard is much needed. I think at least having a paypal account is critical in today's buying and selling environment, hence the 2 deals that didn't go through, Rich. Also, since Paypal is now reporting when they are used for $20K and 200+ transactions per year, I am more likely to want a check if it's ok with my trading partner. Just my 1.2 cent. Also, I rarely keep more than a few hundred dollars in paypal. I would rather have it in my bank.

pwilk17
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Having a Paypal account is risky in that at any time someone can create a charge back for any item(s) that they paid using a credit card through Paypal. Even if they rec'd the item, they can say they did not to their credit card company and their credit card company will yank the funds immediately from Paypal and Paypal will hold you ultimately responsible for the charge back (if you have the funds in your account, the funds will be yanked - if not, you will have negative balance and be liable to pay it back). I would never take payment for any item from anybody (by credit card) if I could not accept the risk that it could be charged back one day. You are not safe after 45 days if a credit card was used through Paypal (you are if it is Paypal cash). Chargebacks can occur up to a year later.

53Browns
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Okay, dumb question of the day. If Paypal gift comes with no fees. Why doesnt everyone use it all the time? Is there a limit?

VinTX
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Okay, dumb question of the day. If Paypal gift comes with no fees. Why doesnt everyone use it all the time? Is there a limit?

paypal buyer protection. if you pay someone for an item through paypal and then for whatever reason you don't receive it, you can open a case through paypal and they will investigate it and return your money to you if you don't receive your item. It works pretty much the same way as ebay. They'll ask the seller to provide tracking information for the package to determine it's status. (This is why its always a good idea to send with DC for sellers.) So assuming the seller can't prove you received it (via tracking) paypal will refund the buyer their money.

payments sent via "gift" or "money owed" are not eligible for buyer protection. So if you pay someone for something by one of these methods and the seller ends up being a deadbeat and takes your money, there's nothing you can do...

PolarBear
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Not everyone is comfortable with lying.

Leon
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM

When I do take paypal I always request an e-check. It only costs $5 to take any amount that way and you aren't skirting the system. On a $2000 payment you will save roughly $50 in fees.....however, it will take 2-4 days to hit your account. regards

Republicaninmass
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
When I do take paypal I always request an e-check. It only costs $5 to take any amount that way and you aren't skirting the system. On a $2000 payment you will save roughly $50 in fees.....however, it will take 2-4 days to hit your account. regards

Good point, and I am thinking Leon you should change your title to "pleasant" forum owner

teetwoohsix
04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I stopped using Paypal quite awhile ago, and I appreciate all of the board memebrs who have allowed me to purchase cards from them with postal money orders. This is how I prefer to pay, and will usually skip over items where seller will only accept Paypal.

HRBAKER
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Discaimer: I am not a seller so I can't represent that point of view. As a buyer, I have it linked to a CC (Discover as Leon mentioned) and I think I get a 1% kick on all my purchases plus the buyer protection. It is easy and free except when I have to cover someone's "gift" expenses. ;)

egbeachley
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
I stopped using Paypal quite awhile ago, and I appreciate all of the board memebrs who have allowed me to purchase cards from them with postal money orders. This is how I prefer to pay, and will usually skip over items where seller will only accept Paypal.

It's not often you find someone who prefers to wait in line at the post office, pay a dollar for a money order, fill it out and an envelope, attach a 44 cent stamp, and wait an additional 2-3 days for the payment to get there. I like the 20-second transaction time with no fees by using Paypal.

From a seller's POV, different matter.

Matthew H
04-26-2011, 03:44 PM

It's not really lying if you say payment owed. It is a personal payment between two friends, which I'm sure many of you consider each other. This payment does not need protection so they don't charge a fee.

teetwoohsix
04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
It's not often you find someone who prefers to wait in line at the post office, pay a dollar for a money order, fill it out and an envelope, attach a 44 cent stamp, and wait an additional 2-3 days for the payment to get there. I like the 20-second transaction time with no fees by using Paypal.

From a seller's POV, different matter.

You are correct- it is not as easy as a 20 second paypal payment, but I actually enjoy the whole process. There is hardly ever more than a 3-4 minute wait in line.

And some sellers prefer a postal money order payment also. Buying the money order is no problem, neither is postage(usually even send it Priority Mail), and don't mind the wait (makes it even more exciting to get the card(s)). Plus it gets me out of the house and away from this damn computer :p

Sincerely, Clayton

joeadcock
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Clayton

I agree about your reference to the computer. It has enveloped so much of my time(even at work).

Preferred it as a kid in the 70's, no computer. 4 channels on TV. No video. Had to wait a long time for movie in theatre to get to TV. Looking back at it, wasn't bad at all.

ethicsprof
04-26-2011, 09:51 PM
+1

well said, frank!

all the best, ole buddy

barry

53Browns
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I wasnt trying to "Lie". It was a question.

Zach Wheat
04-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Bill,

I had someone on the BST tell me they did not use Pay Pal because they were no longer able to gift money to friends or family members. Apparently, he was using this method to conduct BST or eBay transactions; after a certain frequency of gifting funds through Pay Pal, they didn't allow him to use that function anymore. Or they wanted to start charging for it. It was not clear which was the case.

I had no intention of gifting money to him, I just wanted to pay via Pay Pal and would have paid extra to seller for the inconvenience....I ultimately ended up sending a check.

M Wheat

HRBAKER
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I haven't memorized the Terms of Service which you agree to in order to become a user. The "gift" function to my understanding was designed to allow users to send money as a "gift" to friends and family members fee free I think. It is not intended to be used as a way to skirt the fees you agree to pay as a user to accept payment for commerce. Human nature says that if you can get something for nothing then people will find a way to do so.

Then again as pointed out above if you are dealing with someone you know and feel you can get by with no paypal protection then the "payment owed" may be an option. Keep in mind though the seller is still enjoying the benefit of paypal with immediate access to the money and a secure transaction it is just you as the buyer who has forfeited the protection associated with a "normal" transaction.