PDA

View Full Version : Who in the hell cut the auto for this card???

novakjr
04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Holy Crap, this may be one of the worst cuts I've seen for a card. Well, at least they put the right auto on the right card. I don't really care much for these, but I'm generally not opposed to the idea of the cut auto cards. This just makes me sick though. The complete lack of care or quality control like this are the main reason they should NOT be doing this crap. They basically ruined what could've been a great collectible by trying to turn it into a different kind of collectible, and then to make things worse, they f'ed it up... Upper Deck should be ashamed of themselves. In my opinion, this thing is completely worthless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-SWEET-SPOT-IMMORTAL-SIGNATURE-MEL-HARDER-AUTO-2-37-/200598788719?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2eb49e9a6f

thetruthisoutthere
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM
What a waste of a nice autograph and inscription. Upper Deck is notorious for doing that to cut autos. Someone obviously screwed up the placement of that cut auto, but who the heck over at "Quality Control" allowed it to be placed in a pack.

LanceRoten
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Who cut it? Looking at it, my guess would be Upper Deck turned Stevie Wonder or Ronnie Milsap loose in the room...
;)

BillyCoxDodgers3B
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Thankfully, Mel was a great signer during the course of his long life. He was also the first and last man to pitch in Municipal Stadium. I exchanged several letters with him and visited him once at his home in Chardon, Ohio. I'm not certain, but Mel could very well have the longest professional association with the Indians. He pitched for them from 1928-47 then went on to coach for 23 seasons!

Mel was briefly teammates with another nearly-forgotten legend, Joe Hauser. Hauser was playing his last MLB season as Harder was just coming up.

"I was just eighteen years old and Joe was a star," Mel told me. "He treated me very well. I haven't seen him in sixty years but I've never forgotten his warm reception." When I asked Joe about Mel later on in the year, he recalled Harder as being a "Good kid". Keep in mind that Harder would be 101 years old today (and Joe 111)!

D. Bergin
04-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Is that a piece of a baseball? :confused:

nebboy
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
You can see that its a cut/patch from a baseball. Upper Deck to stick with the design concept had to put the red stiching exactly where it is.

The problem is that the ball/patch wasn't signed dead-on sweet spot, so it looks like :mad:.

Just another head shaker form UD :(

I would of rather had the baseball for my players born on Nebraska collection. The Cheif was born just up the road a piece in Beemer.

Mr. Zipper
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
What a disgrace.

novakjr
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
You can see that its a cut/patch from a baseball. Upper Deck to stick with the design concept had to put the red stiching exactly where it is.

The problem is that the ball/patch wasn't signed dead-on sweet spot, so it looks like :mad:.

Just another head shaker form UD :(

I would of rather had the baseball for my players born on Nebraska collection. The Cheif was born just up the road a piece in Beemer.

I completely understand the necessity to cut it that way due to the design of the card. At some point, someone has to look at the ball and know that it's off center enough that it won't work, and then make the decision to not destroy the ball. UD destroying good stuff simply for the sake of protocol and print runs. Gotta love it.

Anyways John, are you in need of a Harder auto for your collection? Or was that more of a "you currently have a flat sig, and the ball would've been better"?

D. Bergin
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd call it an autograph "scrap" and charge a premium for it. ;)

novakjr
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd call it an autograph "scrap" and charge a premium for it. ;)

It's "rare", and possibly 1 of a kind, since it may be the only one without the full signature present.

Rickyy
04-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Wow can't believe they did that to a nice ball like that. Cut autographs I can understand, but a ball? Wow!:(

Ricky Y

RichardSimon
04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry, but I believe it.
I believe the card companies are capable of doing anything with autographs to make a buck.
Just look at what they did to this nice Mantle signature on a postmarked government postcard.

Vintagedegu
04-26-2011, 06:50 PM
-

GrayGhost
04-26-2011, 07:20 PM
disgrace.

Mr. Zipper
04-27-2011, 07:20 AM
The irony is that these butchered signature cards often sell for more than the autograph in its original form. Unless that stops happening, we will continue to see this nonsense.

thetruthisoutthere
04-27-2011, 08:20 AM
The irony is that these butchered signature cards often sell for more than the autograph in its original form. Unless that stops happening, we will continue to see this nonsense.

I, too, have often wondered why anyone would be interested in a 'cut auto" that is literally "cut" off.

steve B
04-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Sorry, but I believe it.
I believe the card companies are capable of doing anything with autographs to make a buck.
Just look at what they did to this nice Mantle signature on a postmarked government postcard.

Is that Mantle real? What makes me wonder is the postmark, which shows what appears to be 3 zeros in a row. Even with part hiden, the middle one is for sure, as it's more than half there. The only dates that work at all are in the 2000's. It could be a "mailed from zip code" postmark, maybe 10002? But it looks like a handstamp, which would be unusual for a postcard.

Yankee Stadium is in 10451 and Mantles restauraunt is in 10019,so something mailed from 10002 seems odd. 10002 is bounded by bowery, St catherines, and E houston st.

Steve B

Big Dave
04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
The numbers could be an 8 / 6 / 0

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325