PDA

View Full Version : Auction Timing and Overlap

Delray Vintage
04-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Does anyone else think we have hit auction overload for April and May? I am tracking REA, SCP, Memory Lane, Mile High, Sportscardlink and soon to be Sterling all running concurrently. I like auctions but this bounty of riches can get confusing. For me, collecting mostly 1880s there is not so much in these execept REA. Unfortunately I like high grade Mantle and DiMaggio so I am tempted by many of those PSA 9s I see accross most of them.

There are so many 52 mantles I have lost count. Mile High has a 6, 7, 7.5 in the same catalog. The 56 SGC 96 got a tiny third of a page. If the prices remain strong on thse Mantles we know we are in a recovering market.

Gradedcardman
04-25-2011, 06:24 AM
I agree. I have a group of T's that I am holding off listing until this run is over !!

brianp-beme
04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I always figured the auction companies want to have an auction scheduled around April and May because people will have received their tax refunds by then.

Brian

E93
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I always figured the auction companies want to have an auction scheduled around April and May because people will have received their tax refunds by then.

Brian

And because people start going on vacations in June.
JimB

Delray Vintage
04-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I assumed since most cards are baseball related, they want to coincide with the start of the season. I like the many auctions but moving a few into March would make it easier on bidders. The hardest part is figuring out a bidding strategy with all the overlapping start and end dates. It is a positive that the market can absorb all this inventory at seemingly strong prices. It looks like all the Mantles are doing well in bids. I thought there was a lull in 52 topps price growth but these Mantles seem to be getting Smr levels.