PDA

View Full Version : Just curious what yall think of this?

nameless
04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
A little fishy if you ask me. What do yall think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JIM-THORPE-Photo-RPPC-Baseball-Age-15-16-HISTORIC-nr-A1-/150593045160?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item23100b82a8

cmoore330
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I saw that one a few days back and would say it smells a lot fishy! Nothing about that picture looks like Thorpe unless a baseball uniform qualifies.

On a related note, did anyone see the RPPC of Thorpe's wedding listed recently? Pretty cool and sold for almost $500!

clamendo
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
There is a slim chance it could be legitimate, I am researching but there is not way I would take a flyer at $875.

Leon
04-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I am no thorpe expert but have seen hundreds if not thousands of pictures of him through the years, just like every one else. Personally I don't think it's him. Again, I am no expert so if it is him then I guess I am wrong. I saw it when it first went up and laughed. Here he is... Shown many times before :)

I also should add that the provenance the seller gives, very well could be legit, but it just doesn't look like him to me...who knows??

(sorry for the other scans)

clamendo
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
A few years back I picked up a 1911 Real Photo postcard of Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian team after defeating Harvard. Also, in the picture was Pop Warner. It just so happens that Pop Warner was born in Springville, NY "A" on the map. When I visited the Pop Warner museum they told me that Jim Thorpe practiced and trained for the Olympics in 1912 in Glen "Pop" Warners hometown of Springville. So, you can see where Sinclairsville is on the map "B". Also, mentioned in the writeup is Lansing, NY. Near Ithaca. This is where Pop Warner went to College. So, the story seems plausible that Jim Thorpe spent some time in this area. Looking at a closeup of the postcard's Thorpe the facial features seem different. However, the eyebrow's caught my eye. Anyway, its still not strong enough provenance for me..but its fun digging..I have posted a closeup for your review.

Jaybird
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I saw this when posted as well and moved on. Doesn't look like him to me. I'll post Clamendo's pic next to the one from the listing.

clamendo
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
In 1911 he was 23 and he waould have been 15 in 1903, but the hair
doesn't match either.