PDA

View Full Version : early baseball cufflinks / pins - kemp bros.

Bumpus Jones
04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
has anyone ever seen seen these before? approximate value???

players pictued include: Johnny Evers, Christy Mathewson, Grover Lowdermilk, Sam Crawford, Cy Young, and Ty Cobb. circa 1915...

thanks,

chris

collectbaseball
04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Never seen those before, they are really neat! It looks like they use the same poses as T206s -- I'm not sure where you got the players in your post from, but they appear to picture Conroy, Ferguson(?), Mullin, Pelty, Ball, and Evers (left to right). Especially where they are the T206 poses I'd be surprised to find a Lowdermilk in there. Hope this helps a little, at least.

D. Broughman
04-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I believe the second one from left is Bell, Brooklyn

Jaybird
04-21-2011, 05:19 PM
maybe they are dress buttons? SInce there are 6 of them, seems like it would be for a dress shirt maybe. I know when i wear a tuxedo there are 6 black buttons that you put on the front of the shirt. I would think this would make more sense than cufflinks?

Either way, they are fantastic!

base_ball
04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Jaybird is correct...they are studs for a dress shirt. And they are extraordinary.

As for value, it would depend on their composition, namely: are they gold. The other elements--porcelain, enamel, matter to a lesser degree. They are complete, in a wonderful box, and--in my opinion--are on par with the Stevengraph "The First Innings" as a top-shelf British-made baseball collectible.

I would be very surprised if "ballist68" hasn't received correspondence from some the buyer/seller net54 habitues.

olsport
04-22-2011, 05:52 PM
They look to be celluloid with hand tinting? Are they brass, gold plated, gold filled? The one on the far right has a silver metal showing at one end. Since the composition is not known I would give a wide pricerange of 600- 2,500 dollars. I have never seen these before in 25+ years of sports auctions, shows, ect.

slidekellyslide
04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
They sold for $1200. Did you happen to win them Chris?

collectbaseball
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Where were they for sale? The Heritage auction?

They sold for $1200. Did you happen to win them Chris?

murphusa
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
What did the spading trophy go for?.

They were in the Morphy auction central Pennsylvania

Bumpus Jones
04-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for everyone's interest and contributions. I did not win the auction but I'm curious to know if anyone here did???

Chris

vintagesportflips
04-24-2011, 07:13 AM
The Spalding trophy went for either 1600 or 1700.

WillowGrove
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
And I was very excited to get them for all the reasons some of you mentioned; unique, complete, t206 poses...

The auction had them listed with those HOFers (and Loudermilk) and I contacted them to correct the listing and sure enough they did.

I definitely agree that they are shirt buttons because why would there be SIX cufflinks. I was told they are not gold and look forward to doing some research as to when they were made and why these players were chosen.

When I did some research on the players 1909 seemed to be the year the almost each player did something of note -I don't remember my exact findings from a couple weeks ago but I believe in early 1909 Pelty threw a one hitter, Mullin a no-hitter,Conroy was expected to be a starting infielder who had a big following as a hardnosed ballplayer - but I don't know if the players would have been selected for such accomplishments.

More likely the maker just like the shots. But who knows.

Whatever the answers may be I am really proud to own them. If anyone can shed any light and provide any more info it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for starting the thread. I was going to post them when I got them in hand. And Happy Holiday time everybody.

peter

slidekellyslide
04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure how much research Morphy's does, but they listed a 1919 World Series Ticket Stub for Game 2 as just a regular ticket stub...they placed their expected selling price at $100-$150...I put a decent bid in on it, and forgot about the auction yesterday...unfortunately I wasn't the only one who noticed Morphy's mistake.