PDA

View Full Version : Dating a Baseball

theantiquetiger
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I found a baseball signed by a minor player from the 40's & 50's. His name is George "Seabiscuit" Seamon, and he played here in Baton Rouge and around the south.

There is no markings on the ball other than his name.

Is there anyway to date the ball by looking at the stitches?

I actually knew the man about 15 years ago. I had heard he played and coached. I cannot find any info on him coaching.

baseballart
04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Can't help you on the baseball or his coaching, but here's his minor league record, in case you haven't found it

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=seamon001geo

Rob D.
04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
One thing to remember when dating a baseball: They always order the steak and lobster.

Scott Garner
04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
One thing to remember when dating a baseball: They always order the steak and lobster.

LOL Rob, now THAT'S funny!!! :D

olsport
04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
LMFAO on that joke! :D Anyway, just to let you know, there really isn't much difference in baseball design from the 1930s to today's balls, thus it wouldn't really matter to date this. There IS a premium (of course) on Major Leaugue or Pacific coast league balls, with commissioner's facimile signatures on them though, which dates them from when they were in office. Stitching colors changed prior to the 30's with red and blue being used in the teens and twenties, as well as other colors. The stitching width becomes smaller as you go back into the 1800s. There are many sites online regarding the changes and pictures