PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Cut - Terminology Clarification

bsuttonosu
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a question about what constitutes "diamond cut" versus "miscut". I've two different kinds of things that people refer to as "diamond cut".

1 - Cards that are square (90 degree corners) with the image tilted. These seem like the sheet got crooked before it got cut.

2 - Cards that are NOT square (more of a parallelogram). For these, it seems like a vertical/horizontal cut was made THEN the sheet got crooked before the other direction was cut. The corner angles are not 90 degrees on these.

I've seen both and have seen both referred to as "diamond cut". Is that how everyone else uses the term?

I usually reserve "miscut" for a cut dramatically pushes the image in one direction or another, often to the point that a part of another card shows.

steve B
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I think either would be called a diamond cut. The tilted image ones from your first example seem a bit less common to me.

And they do happen pretty much as you describe. I consider them miscuts, but I don't usually use the term miscut until part of the image is cut off or part of another card shows.

Steve B

David W
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Diamond cuts......

fkw
04-20-2011, 02:40 AM
diamond cut = opposite cuts are parallel, but corners are not square.
like a "diamond"

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1941r324-33.jpg

T205
04-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Basically means that the picture on the card is crooked to the card itself. When the card was manufactured the printing plate wasn't aligned with the card. 1970's cards are notorious for being diamond cut.

Miscut just means that the card was not lined up properly on the cut board when it went through the cutting process.