PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where are the poker players going now that "Black Friday" hit?

danc
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I know this is O/T, but there is an Old Cardboard Poker tournament, quite a few players on the site play and with the three major online poker sites shutting down (where will the monies go?), just wondering where the players from the N54 will go now?

DanC

slidekellyslide
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I personally think the US govt has overstepped their bounds on this decision and I don't even play online poker...I do however have a friend who moved to the Isle of Man to work for Pokerstars.net who is affected by this.

Jacklitsch
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Leon
04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Since this is a very well liked activity that our community does, I don't think it's off topic. Hopefully, if the site that is currently used is being shut down then another one can be found. regards

edhans
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
It's a shame that the vast majority of our elected representatives lack the intellect to discern the difference between a game of skill and a game of chance. On line poker could be a significant income stream for governments if done right.

chaddurbin
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
anyone with money on the sites will be able to get the money out sometimes down the line, just wait till the dust settles. imo online poker will come back in another form with regulations/taxes.

idiotic that ftp/pokerstars raked billions each year and couldn't get some lobby going in washington...they must've known this day was coming.

Rob D.
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
idiotic that ftp/pokerstars raked billions each year and couldn't get some lobby going in washington...they must've known this day was coming.

Good point. And when you consider how much this will negatively impact the number of entrants into the World Series of Poker, you'd have thought that ESPN and Caesars Entertainment, both of whom have stakes in the success of the WSOP, could have ponied up some money as well to aid the fight.

Abravefan11
04-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Quan - The poker industry literally begged for taxable regulation prior to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_Players_Alliance

http://theppa.org/

chaddurbin
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
tim,

if i remember correctly PPA has *3* paid people on their staff...which is pretty meh. it's set up so poker players can band together and have their voices/rights be heard and be proactive. it's too bad that most professional pokers are extremely lazy and besides playing poker they don't like to do anything else.

guys like lederer/ferguson who are on the board should've done alot more for online poker that netted them millions.

edit: of course maybe lederer/ferguson along with bitar/ftp and the pokerstars guys don't want to stick their necks out too much and rock the boat as they just wanted to pocket as much money while the 'gettin is good before it all collapses.

Abravefan11
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Quan I agree the PPA hasn't really done much other than bring in D'Amato to be a figure head.

The poker industry did see the writing on the wall and wanted to work with the government to set up regulation, but congress didn't want to go that route. Congress tried to pass the UIGEA on it's own but it failed. It wasn't until it was attached to the SAFE Port Act that it passed.

mybuddyinc
04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
OK............ let me get this straight:

I can go onto many, many "legal" bet sites, and put any amount of money on team XX (with line) for 10/9 odds ................. or buy a lottery ticket for $XX with a million or billion to one chance of winning .............. but I can not play every last Tuesday of the month with a bunch of friends for $11 on a game of skill ................... ???????????????

............. and people say I waste my vote on the Libertarian candidate !!!

carrigansghost
04-19-2011, 04:53 AM
Time Warner has taken it to a new low here. They won't show anything with poker on their line ups. channels like GSN and ESPN2 are either not on or alternate programming is shown instead of the poker shows.

Rawn

lhardem
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
As already stated in this thread, the Old Cardboard Texas Hold'em tournaments for vintage card collectors have been shut down.

We deeply regret the disruption in our monthly private tournaments and strongly protest the government's action to further restrict the rights of its citizens. Now midway through sponsoring our fourth annual series of the private events for vintage card collectors, we are no longer able to sponsor the monthly games.

Over these four years, many of us have also played in low-stakes online public tournaments with players from many dozens of countries all over the world. Sadly, the citizens of the "land of the free" are now the only ones to be denied access to this global form of entertainment.

Isn't it ironic that I am no longer allowed to play Texas Hold'em from my home in Austin, but will be able to play freely when I visit Russia next month in "the land of the oppressed"?

We will continue to look (and hope) for alternatives in conducting these monthly tournaments. Meanwhile, write your Congressman!

With sadness,
Lyman

carrigansghost
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Meeting at Leon's once a month?

Rawn

Leon
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Meeting at Leon's once a month?

Rawn

I have hosted friendly poker parties before. You guys are welcome to come over.

CW
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I was both shocked and disappointed when I came home from
a road trip on Friday evening, only to find out that one of my
favorite hobbies and pastimes was taken away.

As many of you know, PokerStars recently introduced "Home Games"
in which you can setup private, custom tourneys and play with your
friends. This would be a fine alternative for you guys and the Old
Cardboard tourneys -- simply setup a private tourney, arrange to
have everyone send someone (likely Lyman) their entry fee, and
once the play money tournament is over the winnings can be dispensed
via paypal. While a little more inconvenient than just firing up a
regular tournament, it is more customizable (ie. blind levels, starting
stacks, etc.), and you don't have to pay rake. The bonus is that this
is a pretty tight-knit group where we trust each other, so it would be
no problem for one person to temporarily hold the money.

Just a suggestion....

scottglevy
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Agree totally with CW.

I'm in if y'all decide to do that.

Best,
Scott