PDA

View Full Version : 1915 Cracker Jack Advertising Card Joe Tinker Card?

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 01:54 PM
So everyone knows the Cracker Jack Advertising Poster that REA sold in 2009. I recently purchased a "card" from a similar poster, I believe. Apparently someone meticulously cut the Tinker from the poster and now I have it. It is real, not a reprint (I looked at it under black light and it is on thick poster cardboard stock, and also the colors are magnificent (you can actually see some of the remaining black border where whoever cut it out left a touch). I actually printed out the Cracker Jack poster from REA's site and enlarged it to 11 X 14.5 like the original size, both front and back, and pasted the two together to see if the wording on the back matches the original, and it is a 100% match.

My questions are these:
1. Do you think a TPG would grade it as "Authentic"?
2. What would it be worth compared to a 1915 Cracker Jack card? (The "card" is in great shape with no creases and relatively sharp corners)

There were only 3 cards that could be cut from the poster "Whole" and the other 2 are Cobb and Mullen.

It is a travesty that someone would have "chopped" this up in 1915, but I guess back then, this really wasn't anything to be thought of!!

Thoughts??

E93
04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I doubt they would grade it even as "authentic" since it is not an authentic baseball card. It is a tiny part of a poster. Just my .02.
JimB

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 02:07 PM
That's what I thought too, but it is nonetheless, a pretty cool item.

David Halpen
04-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Those cutouts are neat. Here is the advertising poster that had sold at auction:

http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/Item_11431_1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/Item_11431_2.jpg

Here are my two cutouts from a poster. The Tinker (probably like yours) and a Frank Baker. However, the Frank Baker is not on this poster. However, it is located where Collins is on the poster. Thus, it leads me to believe that there were more than 1 type of poster.

http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/15cjtinker436065.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/15cjtinker436065b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/15cjbaker436063.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/halpen/1914crackerjackset/websize/15cjbaker436063b.jpg

Rob D.
04-17-2011, 02:33 PM
It's a bit of a technicality and not worth a lot, but I don't think the Mullen could be cut out and presented as "whole," because it looks like part of the Maranville card overlaps the lower-left corner.

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Yup, Rick. Mine could almost DOUBLE for your Tinker. Thanks for the reply.

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 02:48 PM
It's a bit of a technicality and not worth a lot, but I don't think the Mullen could be cut out and presented as "whole," because it looks like part of the Maranville card overlaps the lower-left corner.

I think the Cobb would be a pretty cool "card". and IMO, I don't feel it would be worthless (I mean it si still a Cobb collectible)

Rob D.
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I think the Cobb would be a pretty cool "card". and IMO, I don't feel it would be worthless (I mean it si still a Cobb collectible)

I didn't mean the Cobb isn't worth a lot. I meant that my point that the Mullen can't really be presented as "whole" because of the lower-left corner is a bit of a technicality and not worth a lot in the grand scheme of the conversation.

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 03:29 PM
I didn't mean the Cobb isn't worth a lot. I meant that my point that the Mullen can't really be presented as "whole" because of the lower-left corner is a bit of a technicality and not worth a lot in the grand scheme of the conversation.

Agreed :D

Qcards
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I posted these pictures quiet some time ago. I asked SGC if they would give them an "A" for authentic and they said no.

Not sure of the value but they are pretty cool. I am going to place them over a poster blow up as well, great idea !!

gnaz01
04-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I posted these pictures quiet some time ago. I asked SGC if they would give them an "A" for authentic and they said no.

Not sure of the value but they are pretty cool. I am going to place them over a poster blow up as well, great idea !!

VERY COOL!!!! :cool:

JamesGallo
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Neat pices and I have seen several over the years, but people seem to like to price them as cards and alough I had interest I was not going to pay the same money for pieces from an add.

If you REALLY wanted them slabbed Beckett might slab them as they have done a lot of authentic. PSA and SGC will not.

James G

Rickyy
04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
I guess since it came from a poster vs a card is the reason that they won't grade it...(diff paper too)...but they do grade as "A" salesman sample cards from Topps and Bowman even if they are cut into indv pieces...

Matt
04-18-2011, 08:08 AM
The TPGs grade the blank backed 'cards' cut from c1911 notebook covers; if they do that knowing they are cut from notebook covers, then I'd think they should grade these as well. However, my hunch is that they originally didn't know those were cut from notebook covers and started grading them thinking they were a UNC issue.

ecRich
04-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I've got these two. The Baker of course is not on the only ad sheet that I have seen. Has anyone seen a second sheet with other cards?

Marckus99
04-19-2011, 05:52 AM
First, they definately have value - not on the same level as the regular cards.
But then again - these are far, far more difficult to find than the average issued Cracker Jack cards.

Also, there IS another sheet, I have a card from the 1914 (Series 144) poster;
will get a scan out soon.

I think alot of collectors disregard these really tough cards ONLY because they are soo hard to find. IMO.

Mark

gnaz01
04-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Awesome Mark, thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing your card as well. Is/are there any pictures of the 1914 poster (I personally have never seen one)?:confused:

Marckus99
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Schang, Archer, Barry & Wilson - all are NOT on the "Series 176" poster.

Note: Barry has "144" printed on back......

Leon
04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't see any harm in those being graded by a TPG if labeled correctly. If I saw them in an SGC, BVG or PSA holder that said "AUT- Ad cut out", I don't think I would have heartburn over it. Everything else gets slabbed nowadays.

okmaybent@aol.com
06-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a McGraw that judging by the whole ad sheet shown must have been on the bottom left. The back says "Place this" and the below in big letters "CR" just like the bottom left of the ad sheet shown. I attached a photo of front and back. I don't see McGraw in any of your posts or photos. Is there another poster?

Bigb13
07-31-2012, 05:28 AM
This is great stuff

ruth-gehrig
08-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Does anyone have any of these for sale? Please let me know!
Thanks
Michael

drcy
08-19-2017, 11:23 AM
I would think Beckett would be most likely to holder it, as they are more liberal in what they entomb.

terjung
08-19-2017, 11:27 AM
After seeing this thread pop up, I immediately saw that Jim B. was the first responder to the OP. I miss him.

swarmee
08-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have any of these for sale? Please let me know!
Thanks
Michael

It's bad form to bump old posts like this in order to ask to buy some. That's what the Buy/Sell/Trade board is for...

ruth-gehrig
08-19-2017, 12:15 PM
My apologies. I did post a bst thread with a link to this thread

irishdenny
08-19-2017, 01:09 PM
After seeing this thread pop up, I immediately saw that Jim B. was the first responder to the OP. I miss him.

Wit a Very Heavy Heart, I echo Your sentiment.
Sometimes in life,
There are Those Who You Would of Personally Liked to Say "Good Bye" too.
For me... Mr. Jim Blumenthal was such a Man!

ullmandds
08-19-2017, 03:51 PM
this guy.

Leon
08-19-2017, 04:02 PM

I think about him often. Of everyone we have lost he is the one I personally miss the most. He was one of the best guys I have ever known. I wish I had known him even better.

rainier2004
08-19-2017, 04:54 PM

His 50th was last weekend, he is missed.

ABbaby
12-13-2023, 01:26 PM
Do these come in any other form where the back would be blank by chance?

Here's one I found ending tonight:
https://bid.baileyshonor.com/ui/auctions/112105/14229819

I have a McGraw that judging by the whole ad sheet shown must have been on the bottom left. The back says "Place this" and the below in big letters "CR" just like the bottom left of the ad sheet shown. I attached a photo of front and back. I don't see McGraw in any of your posts or photos. Is there another poster?

Leon
12-13-2023, 04:24 PM
Do these come in any other form where the back would be blank by chance?

Here's one I found ending tonight:
https://bid.baileyshonor.com/ui/auctions/112105/14229819

Yes, when they are reprints.

ABbaby
12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Looks like some think its the real deal! Up to $800 before premium now! Quite the gamble on a reprint. Size doesn't measure up...

Yes, when they are reprints.

ChasingPaper
12-13-2023, 07:32 PM
Looks like some think its the real deal! Up to $800 before premium now! Quite the gamble on a reprint. Size doesn't measure up...

Ill admit, I actually put in a bid of $525 in hopes that it may have been a proof or something that came out in those years, but was not given to stores. Reason being is that this poster came from the late President of the Cracker Jack Collectors Association, so figured why would she have gone through all the trouble of having it matted, framed and hung on her wall. It also had the 2 punch holes at the top, but the back was blank so who knows. It being a replica is more than likely than it not.

Leon
12-13-2023, 08:51 PM
Ill admit, I actually put in a bid of $525 in hopes that it may have been a proof or something that came out in those years, but was not given to stores. Reason being is that this poster came from the late President of the Cracker Jack Collectors Association, so figured why would she have gone through all the trouble of having it matted, framed and hung on her wall. It also had the 2 punch holes at the top, but the back was blank so who knows. It being a replica is more than likely than it not.

Well, I didn't know the provenance so maybe it really is real? Still more likely not, though.

She could have had it matted and framed because it looked good, even though a reprint...Ala Helmar's etc..

ABbaby
12-14-2023, 06:42 AM
OH wow, didn't realize the provenance. I won the cracker jack boxes and the larger poster so I'm excited! Nice to think 'what if?' though....but I did speak to Carol (auctioneer) extensively on the piece and based on her very open and transparent answers to my questions I didn't think it original. Size was the biggest determining factor, the lack of ad back and not seeming to have been scraped/re-backed, as well as the color tones in the blue. Clearer pictures close up would have been ideal to help really determine. Guess we'll never know! Until we see it hit thousands when its put up for auction lol.

3-2-count
12-14-2023, 07:39 AM
I would venture to say that it was not original.

The size is not consistent with the original poster or other posters which are similar from that era.

Not to mention those punch holes for hanging purposes are too perfect with no wear or tears whatsoever, nor does it have an ad back.

Heres a different example that I have in my collection from the correct era which matches the original genuine CJ poster in size from 1915.

Around 11" x 15"

https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/3-2-count/memorabilia/53767/original-cracker-jack-advertisement-front

https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/3-2-count/memorabilia/53768/original-cracker-jack-advertisement-reverse