PDA

View Full Version : 1931-32 Ty Cobb Ledger

Matthew H
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Has everyone seen this? 132 signed checks in one book, amazing.

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6065&Lot_No=2&type=gaa-cls-tem041311

Big Dave
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
That is way to cool. Wish I had the funds.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

SteveKiwi
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
The sad thing is that Topps or Upper Deck will buy it, cut it to shreds and create 132 cut sig cards, and the historic value of the item will disappear.

Whatever happens to all the letters that have the signatures cut out of them? Are there a bunch of Babe Ruth letters without sigs floating around, or does the rest of it just get thrown away, yet again destroying history?

Mr. Zipper
04-16-2011, 05:32 PM
The sad thing is that Topps or Upper Deck will buy it, cut it to shreds and create 132 cut sig cards, and the historic value of the item will disappear.

Whatever happens to all the letters that have the signatures cut out of them? Are there a bunch of Babe Ruth letters without sigs floating around, or does the rest of it just get thrown away, yet again destroying history?

It's one thing to make a cut from an album page or something similar...

But it really makes me sick to see Cobb signed checks sliced and put into those stupid trading cards. They must be throwing the rest of his handwriting -- and the history of the document -- in the trash.
:mad:

Steve Zarelli

RichardSimon
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM
And this is surprising because ??
Not only do they destroy history, but they do a horrible job in cutting up the actual signature, as we have all seen on numerous hideous looking cards.

Matthew H
04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
I still think it's cool. I hope a collector gets it. I believe Topps is the only manufacturer with an MLB licence to make cards so if they are in the mix then someone else wants it too. Hopefully its a museum in so. cal :rolleyes:

Heritage Sports
04-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Final price $107,550, in case folks were interested...

novakjr
04-18-2011, 08:08 AM
I still think it's cool. I hope a collector gets it. I believe Topps is the only manufacturer with an MLB licence to make cards so if they are in the mix then someone else wants it too. Hopefully its a museum in so. cal :rolleyes:

Topps is the only company licensed by the league. I believe that any company can still make cards. Just not with mlb logos and the such. Draft picks and minor leaguers in their college uniforms or plain clothes are still fine to make as long as you have permission from the player and/or player's union. I'm not quite sure how that works with retired/deceased players, but any company can insert an autographed cut card into any of their products. I believe even you, me or anyone else here could legally make a card out of these, simply by using an old non-copyrighted photo or original artwork(without team logos and/or pinstripes in the case of the Yankees) and some cardboard, and package it with whatever the hell we want to.

Mr. Zipper
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Final price $107,550, in case folks were interested...

A little over $800 a check. Not much of a volume discount. :eek:

Scott Garner
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
A little over $800 a check. Not much of a volume discount. :eek:

No kidding!! Wow!!

baseballart
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Topps is the only company licensed by the league. I believe that any company can still make cards. Just not with mlb logos and the such. Draft picks and minor leaguers in their college uniforms or plain clothes are still fine to make as long as you have permission from the player and/or player's union. I'm not quite sure how that works with retired/deceased players, but any company can insert an autographed cut card into any of their products. I believe even you, me or anyone else here could legally make a card out of these, simply by using an old non-copyrighted photo or original artwork(without team logos and/or pinstripes in the case of the Yankees) and some cardboard, and package it with whatever the hell we want to.

David

I think if someone tries to do that, he will face considerable push-back from CMG Worldwide http://www.cmgww.com/baseball/cobb/faq.html, acting on behalf of Cobb's estate.

Max

novakjr
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
David

I think if someone tries to do that, he will face considerable push-back from CMG Worldwide http://www.cmgww.com/baseball/cobb/faq.html, acting on behalf of Cobb's estate.

Max

Like I said, I wasn't sure about how they handled retired/deceased players.

roarfrom34
04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm surprised the consignor didn't consign these with Coach's Corner

:p