PDA

View Full Version : Uncatalogued Ruth cards in the last Lew Lipset auction

glchen
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
The Lew Lipset auction that just ended had a couple of Ruth cards that were not catalogued, and I was wondering if anyone knew more about them.

The first card is from Lot 177 (which I won, but do not yet in hand) for the 1946-7 Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes del Deporte Babe Ruth. The listed card for the set is the #41 Ruth, but the lot also had a #4 Ruth. Has anyone seen this before? Is it part of a different set? Or perhaps just an error card or mis-strike where the "1" of the 41 got left off? The #4 card does have a red border as opposed to an orange border for the #41, but I think that there have been red border #41 cards also. Any ideas? I've attached a scan from the auction.

glchen
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
The second uncatalogued card is from Lot 227 (which I did not win). Lew gave the card a description: "R309-1 Babe Ruth Proof? (same size as the R309-1 but B&W and paper)." Is this really a proof card for the set and has anyone seen this before? I've attached a picture of it from the auction, and the card is the one at the left side behind the DiMaggio. Thanks for any information on these two cards!

fkw
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
try to answer both questions........

IMO the Prop Montiel cards were printed with a few variations, not including the border color variation. I "discovered" (brought to light) the Bill Dickey variation years ago (white hat and black hat), one has a correct photo of Dickey (black hat), the other has an error photo of Hartnett (white hat). Both cards have slightly different back designs with different lines at top. I no longer own the black hat Dickey, but do remember its back was slightly different than the white hat card (below).
Ive seen cards with only "Los Reyes Del Deporte" at top of back and also cards with only the "Propagandas Montiel presente" at top of back, and also cards that have a combination of both lines like the Ruths. But dont know if every card can be found with these variations. Your Ruths are interesting, both have the same line at top, but like you said one is #4 the other is #41, but it looks like they were designed that way because the #4 is centered (not like the #1 was scuffed off or something)

Im far from an expert on the set, its an interesting and under appreciated set IMO

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1946propmontdickeyerror.jpg
error version of the Dickey card showing Hartnett

R309-1
This is the true "proof" for the set, but it also could be a proof for the unissued R340 set too ???

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/r340ruthproof.jpg
large white outside border surrounding the proof, thin stock, sold at REA in 2005 for $4K, former Halper piece

showing this again, this is the only known finished card that matches the "proof" above exactly in every way, from the extra green border, to the green plaque, to the tiny brownish stain within the plaque (going through the "B" in "Babe"). This card is 1/2" wider and taller than the common R309-1, and makes me think it is really a different issue... the never issued R340 premiums offered on the wrapper of the Goudey Sport Kings issue (see wrapper below).

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1933r340ruth.jpg
only known green border R309-1/R340
differences from the common R309-1..... 1/2" taller and wider, different type of easel, far superior image quality, green plaque and extra green border, and possible factory cut hanger holepunch in top border (smaller than the common holepunch and cleanly cut through the very thick stock)

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/sportkingswrapper.jpg

fkw
04-13-2011, 08:10 PM
follow up...

On the so called R309-1 Proof in Lipsets auction, there is a good chance it may be related to Goudey

The original photo of Ruth in this followthrough swing is well known, but when you look at it it will have other players/coaches in the background on the field of play (near the stands), on the R309-1 Goudey image these other players were removed (airbrushed). That makes me think it may be related.

I was also thinking it also had a slight chance to be the R340 as well, but the offer on the wrapper says "decorative colored border design" so I highly doubt it.

PS. does anyone have the Pro Montiel "black hat" Dickey card to show?? Want to see the back, If my memory is right, it will have the "Los Reyes Del Deporte" line a top, or the complete "Propagandas Montiel presente Los Reyes Del Deporte" line at top.

Ive also owned the lighter yellow/orange border of the white hat Dickey card (shown above), so its a fact that at least some of the cards can be found with both border colors, and be otherwise identical in every way (unlike the Ruths shown).

glchen
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks again for your comments, Frank.