PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 1949 All-Star Belt Buckle

windog1
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi,

I have this belt buckle given to Bucky Walters (he was a coach for the NL) for his participation in the 1949 MLB All-Star game. This was an historic game as it was the first All-Star game that black americans participated in (Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Don Newcombe fro the NL and Larry Doby for the AL). It was also the only All-Star game ever played in Ebbets Field.
Bucky Walters was a great pitcher in his day and the 1939 NL MVP (before the Cy Young award).

I have had values across the board on this so any ideas would be appreciated. There is a marking on it but it's kind of faded. I believe it is 14k gold (several pawn shops I brought it to believe so also) and the diamond is real. I have more pictures at home but here is the one I have here at work. It is a small belt buckle.

Thanks,
Joe

Rob D.
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Joe,

My input is purely anecdotal so take it for what it's worth. If that award had been presented to a Cleveland Indian (I collect Indians memorabilia and especially like stuff from the 1940s and '50s) and it came up for auction, I'd expect to pay $1,000-$1,200 if it belonged to a superstar or Hall of Famer (think Bob Lemon), $750 or so for a "common" player (Eddie Robinson) and $500-$700 for a coach or other non-player.

Rob

windog1
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Rob!

windog1
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Well going to put it in Leland's June auction with a $500.00 reserve. Hopefully Cincy fans will be interested in it since Bucky Walters is one of the first inductees in the Cinn. Reds hall of fame and was nominated by the old timers committee for the HOF but didn't get enough votes. That and the fact that it was the only all star game played in Ebetts Field (Dodger fans) and the significance of the game itself.

I guess I'll just have to see...

Rob D.
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Well going to put it in Leland's June auction with a $500.00 reserve. Hopefully Cincy fans will be interested in it since Bucky Walters is one of the first inductees in the Cinn. Reds hall of fame and was nominated by the old timers committee for the HOF but didn't get enough votes. That and the fact that it was the only all star game played in Ebetts Field (Dodger fans) and the significance of the game itself.

I guess I'll just have to see...

Good luck with it, Joe.

If you find the buckle that belonged to Bob Lemon, give me call and you can save the consignment fee. :)

windog1
04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Good luck with it, Joe.

If you find the buckle that belonged to Bob Lemon, give me call and you can save the consignment fee. :)

You're ON.....LOL

Joe