PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sharpie Personalization's from photos

JamesGallo
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
So I have a pile of glossy photos that are all signed in sharpie and are all personalized. It seems that with some lighter fluid the sharpie will come off clean with no residue and does not leave a mark. I also checked under a black light and there is no residue. I want to make a "To Steve best wishes" read just "best wishes".

My two questions are

Any problem doing this? I think this is different then removing names from a ball as it does not damage the photo or the rest of the signature.

Is there any way to detect this?

Would the community at large this this was restoration/alteration, or would it be treated like soaking some are fine with it, but some aren't?

James G

doug.goodman
04-12-2011, 12:30 PM
When I worked at a grocery store back in the days of prices marked on soup cans with an ink stamper, we would remove the prices (when we needed to change them) with hairspray, which may, or may not, be easier to work with than lighter fluid.

I would consider the picture to be "altered" myself, although I don't collect autographs (anymore), so others may have a more valid opinion.

Doug

danc
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
To remove personalizations on glossy photos, use these markers called "Dry Erase".

I use markers made by a company called Expo and they come in a variety of colors (which doesn't matter).

The only way it can be detected is if a celebrity applies WAY TOO much pressure to the photo (usually with a thinner sharpie).

Otherwise, no issues and no one will ever know.

DanC

Mr. Zipper
04-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Please do not use lighter fluid or any liquid. The risk of overspill or damage is way too high.

A Pentel Clic Eraser will take Sharpie off a glossy photo like it was never there with zero damage. Rub very lightly and lightly brush away the eraser crumbles frequently.

http://www.shoptheartstore.com/productimages/beauty/g_plze22c_b.jpg

Here is an example of a photo that used to be personalized. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/zipper68/Autographs/StewartJimmySPhorse.jpg

Mr. Zipper
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Any problem doing this? I think this is different then removing names from a ball as it does not damage the photo or the rest of the signature.

Is there any way to detect this?

Would the community at large this this was restoration/alteration, or would it be treated like soaking some are fine with it, but some aren't?

By the way, removing personalizations is called "washing."

I would not do it with something historical and unique, but for a common signed photo, I really don't think it's a "cultural crime."

I suspect there may be traces of evidence visible under a UV light or something similar. But if done right, the ink is simply removed with no surface damage to the photo... should be impossible to tell with the naked eye unless the signer pressed hard enough to create indentations.

In my view, it should be disclosed to potential buyers... especially if there are remaining indentations in the paper. I've received obviously washed SPs from dealers that had faint indentations and I was not happy as I considered it damage.

Big Dave
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

murphusa
04-13-2011, 06:37 AM
daily, we hear cries of "off with his head" when anyone here sees something that has been changed or altered, something added to enhance a item. Greed, forgeries, how dare you.

Funny stuff here these days

Piedmont Sport
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
This is so crazy - to assume removal means nothing - it's altered - I remember when Al Rosen was selling gum stain remover at his table and all the graded card guys where fighting to stop him from selling it - guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok :confused:

murphusa
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
This is so crazy - to assume removal means nothing - it's altered - I remember when Al Rosen was selling gum stain remover at his table and all the graded card guys where fighting to stop him from selling it - guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok :confused:

Nice display this weekend at the Antique Show Frank

Mr. Zipper
04-13-2011, 12:08 PM
guess we all have different standards - just because it's sharpie and comes off easy makes it ok :confused:

I suspected some folks would take issue with the matter of washing and it's certainly understandable.

That said, we're discussing removing personalizations from modern -- and common -- signed photos. In my view, not quite the same as removing a signature from a vintage ball to make it single-signed or chopping up a document to sell as parts.

I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..." If that makes me a bad guy guilty of marring the holiest of holies, so be it. :D

Steve Zarelli

Piedmont Sport
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks - Jim ------ i'll be back at Oaks this weekend Booths 635-637-734-736 -i'll have some blazing early Ruth photos all BVG TYPE 1

pclpads
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..."

Mr. Yablonski may take offense at having his name removed!:D

Bossfan
03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Has anyone tried this on a white panel autograph football? My daughter attended a function at which a bunch of Ravens signed her Super Bowl autograph ball. Unfortunately, some other guy who was there, who wasn't a player, also signed it (even put a number next to his name). I'd love to get it off the football.

Thanks!

Fuddjcal
03-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I suspected some folks would take issue with the matter of washing and it's certainly understandable.

That said, we're discussing removing personalizations from modern -- and common -- signed photos. In my view, not quite the same as removing a signature from a vintage ball to make it single-signed or chopping up a document to sell as parts.

I've done it on a handful of SPs that remain in my collection as it presents much better than "To Herman Yablonski..." If that makes me a bad guy guilty of marring the holiest of holies, so be it. :D

Steve Zarelli

I've tried the dry erase...didn't work. Tried the goof off...didn't work. Tried the alcohol...didn't work. All on the same 2 photos :D:D:D all I get are smudges and white marks.:D:D

didn't realize this was from 2011 and included our very own FRANK PRISCO !

David Atkatz
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Steve ZarelliHow about removing a personalization from an Armstrong SP (modern, and pretty common), and thereby doubling its value?

baseball tourist
03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
How about removing a personalization from an Armstrong SP (modern, and pretty common), and thereby doubling its value?

I say go ahead and attempt to remove it if you want. There is no guarantee that it will come off totally and nicely. If it is ruined, you only have yourself to blame. If it looks better and it's for your collection, great. If you go to sell it, divulge the "washing" and take great pics of the area in question (if not selling in person) and let the potential buyer(s) decide if they want it or not.

Bossfan
03-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Tried Clic Eraser on the white panel autograph football, but no success. Has anyone tried to get Sharpie off of one of these footballs?

Thanks.