PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Comic Baseball Postcards questions

aelefson
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the two comic postcards scanned below, and I was wondering if someone might be able to help with some questions I have regarding them.
"Made a short stop in"
1. There is a N.Y.A. on the player's jersey. I assume this is in reference to the New York Americans. Are there other issues in this series?
2. Are they all New York Americans or are other teams depicted?
3. Are there other similar low end comic postcards that reference specific major league teams (I would love to find one referencing the Boston Americans)?
4. This appears to have been cut from something. Is there more to this postcard? Can anyone post the other half (if it is a folder)?
5. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

"A Pitch in Time Saves the Nine"
The author of the postcard wrote names on three of the players. The player at first base is labeled Wingo. The postcard is postmarked from Greenville South Carolina in August 1908 to Royston(?) Georgia. Ivey Wingo began playing for South Carolina in 1909 according to baseball reference. I wonder if he started playing there a little earlier? I doubt it but it would be cool if it referenced Ivey. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

aelefson
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I figured I would bump this thread once in case anyone has any information regarding the questions below. Obscure questions for sure, but I figured I would ask.
Thanks in advance,
Alan