PDA

View Full Version : 1869 Cincinnati CdVs

oldjudge
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Where are they all coming from? For a supposedly rare card we have three different ones up for auction, all ending within a one month period--one in Goodwin, one in Heritage, and one in REA.

barrysloate
04-11-2011, 05:00 AM
REA actually has a Peck and Snyder along with a CdV, making it a total of four. And that CdV is a new format I haven't seen before. It appears that the Red Stockings were such a phenomenon in their day that any number of businesses capitalized on that popularity. Wonder how many total images of all kinds still survive?

oldjudge
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Hi Barry! Glad you are feeling better.

Leon
04-11-2011, 06:46 AM
First of all glad to see you posting again Barry. I hope you get to feeling better too.

The Peck and Snyders have certainly started coming out of the woodwork recently. Categorizing them as the smaller or larger ones, I wonder how many are really in existence? It has to be more than the "20" number, even for just the larger ones, that we have commonly seen purported. I also wonder if that decreases their value, or if the demand is still there to keep them at current levels? It seems like the larger ones, with the Peck and Sndyer guy on back, have been going in the 40k-50k range lately. It will be interesting to see where these ones being auctioned now will end up. Will the smaller ones overtake the larger ones in value?

barrysloate
04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks Jay and Leon. Looks like I'm pretty much back to normal, after what was probably the most harrowing week of my life.

GaryPassamonte
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
SGC has graded 2 Red Stocking CdVs and 10 P&S Red Stocking trade cards. In Goodwin's description, he states there are 22 graded total. REA says there are 3 CdVs graded by PSA. If these figures are accurate there would be a total graded population of 17 P&S Red Stocking trade cards and 5 CdVs, which may or may not be P&S. How many are ungraded we can only guess, but the CDV version is more than 3 times rarer with the given data and 3 of the 5 graded CDVs are currently at auction.
Barry- I don't know what was up, but I hope all is well.

benjulmag
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
SGC has graded 2 Red Stocking CdVs and 10 P&S Red Stocking trade cards. In Goodwin's description, he states there are 22 graded total. REA says there are 3 CdVs graded by PSA. If these figures are accurate there would be a total graded population of 17 P&S Red Stocking trade cards and 5 CdVs, which may or may not be P&S. How many are ungraded we can only guess, but the CDV version is more than 3 times rarer with the given data and 3 of the 5 graded CDVs are currently at auction.
Barry- I don't know what was up, but I hope all is well.

Is there any way to find out how many of the graded P&S trade cards are trimmed?

barrysloate
04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi Gary- I contracted E Coli bacteria in my urinary tract and blood. When I got to the emergency room my temperature was 105.4 and my heart rate was 177, either or both of which could have killed me had I not been otherwise healthy. My whole system shut down. I was five days in the hospital getting IV antibiotics, hooked up to a catheter, etc. It was a descent into hell. But I am doing much better now and the infection is out of my system.

Moral of the story: nothing is more important than your health.

mark evans
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Thank goodness you're better, Barry, and glad to see you posting.

Mark

GaryPassamonte
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Barry- That sounds like quite an ordeal. Thankfully, you're doing better. Yes, your health is No. 1.
Corey- Of the 10 SGC has graded, 8 received a numerical grade and are untrimmed. I don't know about PSA's breakdown. I was a little surprised as many as 8 received a numerical grade.

Leon
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Barry- That sounds like quite an ordeal. Thankfully, you're doing better. Yes, your health is No. 1.
Corey- Of the 10 SGC has graded, 8 received a numerical grade and are untrimmed. I don't know about PSA's breakdown. I was a little surprised as many as 8 received a numerical grade.

My understanding is that PSA only grades the trade cards (larger ones) as Authentic. I guess they don't know them well enough to give numerical grades? I believe a board member bought a PSA graded one, that was AUT, not too long ago and crossed it to a 40-50 with SGC. regards

barrysloate
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys for the well wishes.:)

oldjudge
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I would be willing to bet a lot that there are a lot more than 10 CdVs. The CdVs were always considered the ugly step sister to the trade card and I would guess that the majority of these residing in collections are not graded.

E93
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Barry,
Wow! That is really scary. I am very happy to hear that you are alright!
JimB

Vintageclout
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Barry,

My mom just went through the EXACT same thing (she is 75), and after taking several different antibiotics from various doctors she finally bested it. While she never got to the point of being hospitalized, she ran a fever for several weeks (100 - 102) and we were all significantly concerened. Glad to hear you have overcome your illness!

Sincerely,
Joe T.

uffda51
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Wow, Barry, glad that you're OK.

rc4157
04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey Barry - Glad to hear that you came through that ordeal on the positive side. You're absolutely correct, your health is #1.
RC

2dueces
04-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Must have been a scary ordeal to go through. Here's to good health from now on. Joe

barrysloate
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate everyone's kind words.