PDA

View Full Version : My First . . .

margoaepi
04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
So, I went to the Mets' home opener tonight and ended up sitting in section 109 instead of my regular seats in section 513. Top of the 3rd, Ian Desmond hits a foul ball about twenty or so feet behind first base, and true to form, Ike Davis muffs it. He then picks it up and tosses it into the crowd and I am the recipient of my first, and likely only, foul ball. I'm almost 32, and as luck would have it, there wasn't a child in sight for me to hand it off to so this was all mine. Maybe I'm a little sadistic, but I think this is better than a foul ball that was just hit into the crowd because this one is tainted with a small bit of Mets' failure. That's my story, and I am a happy, and probably slightly cursed man.

John V
04-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Congratulations! Foul or fair, it's great fun to come home from the ballpark with a ball.

RichardSimon
04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Josh give Davis a break,,, he is a fine fielder.

margoaepi
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Rich, I love Isaac, but he is not exactly a great glove man at first. My bigger concern is how he constantly steps in the bucket. He is a really strong guy, if he could get his timing down he could be a truly dangerous hitter.

mcgwirecom
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the ball. I was into my 40's before I ever got a ball! I took my step-son down to his first game several years ago and he managed to come home with 3 balls from BP! His first game!

bbcard1
04-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I have gone to gazillions of single a games. A foul ball is a precious thing. I have only gotten two...one in a scramble where I teenager told me that he had touched it first and I responded that I had touched it last. The other was a one-hopper on my way into the stadium...ah Carolina League baseball.

margoaepi
04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
The only other time I was ever close was in 2008, last season at Shea, game against the Braves. I was sitting right behind home plate above the net and a foul ball came over our heads, bounced off the overhang and landed in the aisle about four feet away. I reached for it, had it in my hand, but so did someone else. I picked up my head to see who else had the ball and I felt my head hit something hard. I immediately saw that the other hand belonged to a guy who was holding his two year old kid with his other arm . . . and that I had just head butted the child! I let the ball go post haste, but it wasn't enough for the tough Shea fans and I got razzed by my section for a half inning. Later on in the game the dad came down, bought me a beer and apologized saying it was his fault for having his kid in his arms while he was going for the ball.