PDA

View Full Version : Feelin' the T206 Magic

abothebear
04-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I picked up my first T206 today, and Old Mill Buck Herzog (Boston). I got it super cheap, and you can see why from the scans. The T206 set is not one I am particularly interested in collected at this time in my life. I grabbed this card because I thought it would be fun to try and see what kind of crazy trade I could get for it here on the Net54 site. But I've got to say that after I opened the mail and got it out of its layers of protective sleeves and held it in my hand, I began to feel the magic in it. I probably ought to get rid of it as soon as I can before I start re-thinking my collecting strategy (I hope its not a fake, that would really take the wind out of the sails of my monologue).

Here it is, battered and bruised and lookin' fine.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5f27b7_51ae6f2ca17346a6a68849e15547dab8~mv2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5f27b7_b9b1847860ae4d3589f9cc5386754449~mv2.jpg

FrankWakefield
04-07-2011, 05:13 PM
That's real.

When you get some courage, run a glass full of water. Then drop him in for a few hours. Change the water, soak a bit more. Rinse him off. Pat dry, then blot dry. I think he'll look a bit better, at least what's left of him will...

willworkforT206
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Abo,

Many people's T206 addictions have started this very same way - innocently picking up a low grade beater or two. In my case, I bought five beaters at a flea market for just a couple of bucks when I was eight years old. I've had the T206 bug ever since.

If you're concerned about feeling "the magic" from that Herzog Old Mill then I suggest you never buy a mid- or high-grade T206, or even worse one of those super nice "blazers", because you'll never be able to turn back.

One recommendation - if you do get sucked in, read Scot Reader's "Inside T206" ASAP. There is so much to learn about the set, which is what makes it such a great set to collect.

Be careful!

Steve

abothebear
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Frank, that's a good idea, there is a lot of junk on it. The downside would be that it would no longer say, "large ass" on the back, which, in my opinion, is the card's best feature. I like to think of it as a rare large ass variation.

ChiefBenderForever
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Great card, congrats on your first one. This has always been one of my favorite poses in the set very classic.

T206Collector
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Frank, that's a good idea, there is a lot of junk on it. The downside would be that it would no longer say, "large ass" on the back, which, in my opinion, is the card's best feature. I like to think of it as a rare large ass variation.

Funniest post ever on here. By far.
:p

ChiefBenderForever
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Funniest post ever on here. By far.
:p

I just saw this and agree it is right up there with ' Uzit or lose it' which I still think will be impossible to top but this is good !

Abravefan11
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Herzog is one of my favorite cards in the set and I have a few, but the "Large Ass" has alluded me.

Great card George and there's no shame in rethinking your collecting strategy. :D

mrvster
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
George,

The monster is calling!

Where's Barry??:D

don't fight it.......

Orioles1954
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I just bought my first T206 in four years last night....a T206 Dunn EPDG back. Now I think I'll go for the other 8 cards in the Orioles team set with a different back....then I will have conquered "The Goblin" and move on to something else.

E93
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
:D:D:D LMAO
JImB

P.S. That Herzog is one of my favorite T206 poses.

ethicsprof
04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, the Monster is calling and you are one of the rare lucky ones to be enticed by the large ass variation or largesse as is it said in more delicate circles.
remember the almost famous dictum:
the Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it.
all the best in your courageous pursuit,

barry

abothebear
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Y'all are enablers. I'm glad I didn't post about considering becoming a crack head. No, no, I'm too poor for T206 collecting, I'll stick with my original plan to make the famous and extremely rare "large ass" Herzog available for trade offers.

But they sure are beauties. They have a perfect balance of graphic simplicity and layered depth and detail. As messed up as this one is, I agree with what some of you have said, this is a great pose. The blue background has a nice richness to it, and the detail on the face and sweater is tremendous. I admit to being surprised and entranced by the artistry of these, now that I have one in hand.

ls7plus
04-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Great series of posts, George--I just couldn't stop laughing! Funniest one I've seen.

Larry

wonkaticket
04-08-2011, 01:32 AM
I agree with you guys one of the best T206's made, mine has the less common non "large ass" back. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/ebay/websize/herzog_1.jpg

teetwoohsix
04-08-2011, 03:07 AM
George- just throw in the towel now, you already seem to have been bitten and there is no cure ;)

John- wow!!! :eek:

abothebear
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Alright, he's up for trade on the B/S/T. Has anyone done a chain-trade kind of thing before? Seems like this guy would be a good candidate to trade around just for fun.

clydepepper
03-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Upon Leon's announcement that LA had made it safely back to Lucas, TX, I suggested that LA might be a good choice for the next Net54 T-Shirt.

Who's on board with that idea?

I'm not technically savvy enough to start an official poll...perhaps someone else could...

Thanks,
Raymond

Leon
03-06-2017, 04:25 PM
But people outside the board would think we are crazier than we are. Buck is hanging out in Lucas for a while. Sometimes he likes the slower, leisurely life too.

Upon Leon's announcement that LA had made it safely back to Lucas, TX, I suggested that LA might be a good choice for the next Net54 T-Shirt.

Who's on board with that idea?

I'm not technically savvy enough to start an official poll...perhaps someone else could...

Thanks,
Raymond