PDA

View Full Version : Thursday trivia

FrankWakefield
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
At one time, the following was true, I think it still is.

One time in major league baseball was there a player ejected from a game, and that player never appeared in a major league game...

1- Who was he?

2- When, where and how did it happen??

3- Can you post a scan of a card of this player???

Frank.

dherm360
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Bill Sharman in 51 or 52 the ump through out the entire Dodgers bench for aguring a call

Wite3
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Frank,
Weird how I know the answer to who but not the details and why I do not have a card of him...

One of my relatives played ball with Bill Sharman here in Los Angeles. Sharman was a standout player at USC and tried to play two sports. He did manage to make it to the Dodgers but got thrown out. He eventually gave up his baseball career after never making it into a game...he then played in the NBA well enough to be elected to the HOF!! I am sure someone has a card picturing him in the NBA. I don't since I do not really collect basketball.

Pretty sure this is the right answer because it was discussed a few times when I was a kid at family gatherings where we tried to stump each other with trivia.

Joshua

FrankWakefield
04-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Great, guys!!! Bill Sharman is correct for the 1st question.

I'll wait a bit for someone to fine to the when-where-how... and I just got through scanning a card of his. Maybe someone else has one, if so they can post it first.

dherm360
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
umpire Frank Dascoli ejected the Dodgers bench for arguing with a call at home plate on September 27,1951 in Boston against the Braves.

FrankWakefield
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Right!! That nails the 2nd question.

The Brooklyn Dodgers were at Boston, on that Thursday... The Braves won the game 4-3, having scored the go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th. This was amidst the great pennant winning drive that the New York Giants made. The Giants were idle that day, and with the Dodgers' loss their lead over the Giants dropped to 1/2 a game. They would be tied the next day, and the Giants stayed tied, winning that playoff game that we all can hear in our heads.

I'll wait a bit on posting a card.

FrankWakefield
04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/triviacard.jpghttp://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/triviacardback.jpg

A good college player, averaged over 18 points a game his senior year. A good enough outfielder in the minors. A good basketball player. And a really good, successful coach, which is what got him into the Basketball Hall of Fame. I doubt they considered his 1951 ejection...

howard38
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Sharman was more than just a good basketball player. he was elected to the Hall of Fame as a player (and again years later as a coach) and was named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history in the late 90's.