PDA

View Full Version : Just a small fraud ...

Theoldprofessor
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
If you were interested in an upscale 52T Ferris Fain, you might hit on

1952 Topps Ferris Fain #21 PSA 7 NM

at http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Ferris-Fain-21-PSA-7-NM-/270726763730?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f089294d2

And if you didn't bother to check out the picture in detail, you might not see that, for $220, you might have purchased a

1952 Topps Ferris Fain #21 PSA 7 NM (OC)

Maybe the guy just doesn't know the difference in value between the two.

vintagetoppsguy
04-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I think it's pretty crappy not to list the qualifier in the title or description, but at least it can be seen in the main picture.

And really I don't think anybody is going to buy a $220 card without looking at the picture first.

Again, pretty crappy, but not fraud.

buckydent
04-07-2011, 01:48 AM
This happens alot on ebay and messes up your searches - agreed.
Sellers try to minimize qualifiers and overstate the obvious by leaving it out of the title so that it appears in your search and gets you to look.

My most annoying misrepresentations on ebay:

1) that qualifiers do not screen out on saved searches.
So you set up a "notify me" , email me anytime a PSA 8 or 9 Mantle shows up,
then you get an email and alert, and low and behold it's a psa 8 or 9 oc/ mc
I also hate when the seller tells me the value of the card in PSA 8, but their card is a qualified 8 which is really priced like a 6.

2) Sellers that use "BVG" for BCCG graded cards ( I hate that, and always have to sort through half of that garbage to get decent results that are truly BVG)

3) SCG and SGC mixup

Good stuff, the seller is trying to capitalize on a last second bidder jumping in and only reading the title, not the whole posting

steve B
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I think it's pretty crappy not to list the qualifier in the title or description, but at least it can be seen in the main picture.

And really I don't think anybody is going to buy a $220 card without looking at the picture first.

Again, pretty crappy, but not fraud.

If only Ebay bidders looked at the pictures or read the description.

Unlike many of my posts, my Ebay descriptions were very short, usually no more than 2-3 sentences. And all had at the end something like " Shipping in the US $2 international at cost"

I'd regularly get questions like "how much to ship to Vermont" :confused:

I got into the habit of waiting at least a couple hours before answering just so I could remain polite.

And I got a neutral on an item that was titled as "X cross stitch partial kit" and described as " X crossstitch kit. The kit contains only the chart and instructions, the floss and cloth are missing"
The complaint ---The kit wasn't complete!

Some people really need their "information superhighway" drivers license revoked.

Steve B

111gecko
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
This drives me up the wall!!! I see no reason why Ebay just can't put a qualifier box in the listing area where you enter year, grade, etc... It would be easier to complete a search and virtually eliminate any questionable listings and misrepresentation cases.