PDA

View Full Version : 19th century signed cards

theshleps
04-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I am wondering if anyone knows how many pre 1900 autographed cards are out there. Please share if you have any or know of any. Thanks

the-illini
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I know there is an autographed Mayo Hugh Duffy out there and I believe I saw an Old Judge Connie Mack that Connie signed on the reverse, but I am not sure if that was verified to be an authentic signature or not. Not too many of these out there...

prewarsports
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I believe the Mack OJ has been autheticated and encapsulated so you are good there.

There are some N173 and cabinet issues that have been signed on the back, I have one now and I have owned several others.

Rhys

oldjudge
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Rhys-All the "signed" cabiiets I have seen were just player's names written in in script. You may have something different but I have never seen an autographed N173

prewarsports
04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a signed N173 "proof" Grays studio cabinet (on back) and there is an N173 Andrews that was signed on the back that was part of the Sporting News archives (he signed the back to identify ownership when he sent it to them). So they are signed but all I have seen are on the backs and were written by the players as identifications. There are lots of other cabinets like that which are signed on the backs but I have never seen an true N173 "old judge" signed on the front before.

Rhys

bh3443
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Decades ago, I saw a signed cabinet with an inscription on the reverse that said something like "Merry Christmas to the so N so family from Buck Ewing".
It was owned at the time by a newspaper guy here in metro-Boston.
A wonderful item!