PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this card? (trimming, stain, etc)

scmavl
03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Can I get the board's opinion on this Mantle? Do you think this has been trimmed? It looks good to me in that department. Also, do you thing the corner stain (front only) would be enough to get it a qualifier or knock it down a grade? It has no creases and would probably grade a 3 or better otherwise. Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/santaclausmachine/51mantlest.jpg

vintagetoppsguy
03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I feel pretty sure that it hasn't been trimmed. The stain may soak out, depending on you feel about that. Nice card either way.

canjond
04-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Doesn't look trimmed to me either. A nice looking card. However, it appears that there may be a creases (albeit a small one) in the upper right corner near where the stain and the top border meet. Even with the stain, looks like it could be a 3 (if the card was even nicer, I do think the stain is severe enough to get a qualifier).

novakjr
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Doesn't look trimmed to me either. A nice looking card. However, it appears that there may be a creases (albeit a small one) in the upper right corner near where the stain and the top border meet. Even with the stain, looks like it could be a 3 (if the card was even nicer, I do think the stain is severe enough to get a qualifier).

Agreed. If it's a 3 or 4 the stain shouldn't warrant a qualifier. Anything higher, and you'll probably get the (ST).

scmavl
04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Really good to hear, thanks. The card is slabbed by GAI which is why I'm asking the trimmed question, since I'd likely move it to SGC. I think we all remember a recent thread that had similar circumstances... :eek:

I asked the seller if he would guarantee it not to grade as trimmed/altered and he said he couldn't do that, which I understand. So I basically proceed at my own risk. Anyone know how to tell the "good" GAI grades (earlier ones, I think) I've heard about? If this goes through, it would be the first GAI card I've ever purchased so I'm a bit nervous after reading the horror stories.