PDA

View Full Version : X post- Callahan HOF Set

Jmad
03-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I know there are probably some that don't visit the pre-80 forum and this set applies to both eras, so I thought I would post here as well.

Does anyone have a set? Were there any extremely difficult cards? What are/were some of the top end values? Are there known fakes floating around? Anything I should be cautious of?

I like it for a few reasons. I really like the pencil drawings (I know, not appealing to all), it is relatively small in numbers, includes HOF'ers from the pre war days, and appears to be attainable.

I do not have access to SMR online prices or own and of the comprehensive books. Does anyone have a price list they could scan or attach??

Thanks for any comments/help!!

teetwoohsix
04-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Hey Justin-

I've had a few of these, they aren't too hard to find, and from what I remember there seemed to be a big price jump when you get the NM-MT (9's and 10's).

Don't know about fakes,,,,,,,I'm sure they are out there, just like most cards (always seems to be a scammer).

I like these cards too,,, but am not actively collecting anything except T206's.

I don't have a current price guide or use VCP, so I'm no help there either.

Good luck on your goals.

Sincerely, Clayton

Jmad
04-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Clayton,
Thanks for the response. Yes, they seem pretty readily available. I may grab one of the big annual books to use for reference. I guess the good thing about that is it may give me additional small set ideas to chase after!

JamesGallo
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
It seems a small group of people have many of the PSA cards. To a certain extent I feel like there is some price control of the issue as I never see them cheap.

There are a few odd short prints like the Schalk (the card I want) so some of the bigger name HOF sell for less then the short prints. However looking at schalks I have never seen one sell which to me means they are priced to high and they are all owned by the same people who won't drop the price.

Looking at VCP all the ebay BIN are at least 200-300 more then the last sales. All the listed sales are for PSA holders at least for the schalk.

Neat set, but I don't love them and would rather spend the money or a true vintage card.

James G

bbcard1
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Some years ago I owned a boxed set. I think there are a couple that are shorter because they were issued later...probably new inductees. I have seldom found these in less than Ex condition.

glenv
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
This might be what you're looking for: http://reviews.ebay.com/Callahan-Baseball-Hall-of-Fame-1950-1956_W0QQugidZ10000000001207266

drc
04-03-2011, 02:12 AM
The sets were issued over the years, so the later inductees are rarer.

Jmad
04-03-2011, 07:15 PM
This might be what you're looking for: http://reviews.ebay.com/Callahan-Baseball-Hall-of-Fame-1950-1956_W0QQugidZ10000000001207266

Great link- thank you very much! I picked up a 2011 Standard Catalog, so I'm getting familiar with the values. At $40 it was a tough spend, but seemed to be a necessity. I'd like to venture into some of the older sets, so it will be very helpful for education.