PDA

View Full Version : Do I need this?

mintacular
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking recently about doing the following inventory check on my collection with a simple checklist question: "Do I need this?" If the answer is not an absolute "Hell Yeah I need this!" than the possibility of parting with them is tempting---and those funds could be ploughed into "keeper" cards.

What is your opinion? Should you always be buying cards with the intention that they are in the "keeper" category? Or is it healthy to dabble back and forth and pick up cards that you like at the time but realize could be disposable/substituted for other classic cards down the road?

k-dog
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
I probably SHOULD be asking myself that question! LOL. No, I am extremely spur of the moment with my card buying(which is very much different from just about everything else in my life!) :)

novakjr
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
I probably SHOULD be asking myself that question! LOL. No, I am extremely spur of the moment with my card buying(which is very much different from just about everything else in my life!) :)

I'm right there with ya. My problem is that my focus changes so often that one minute I can legitimately say that I don't need something, but two days later that answer will change.

Leon
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I've been thinking recently about doing the following inventory check on my collection with a simple checklist question: "Do I need this?" If the answer is not an absolute "Hell Yeah I need this!" than the possibility of parting with them is tempting---and those funds could be ploughed into "keeper" cards.

What is your opinion? Should you always be buying cards with the intention that they are in the "keeper" category? Or is it healthy to dabble back and forth and pick up cards that you like at the time but realize could be disposable/substituted for other classic cards down the road?

Hey Patrick
Perfect question for me but I feel like a ball hog sometimes. For cards that I already have one of, I then buy cards that I think are really neat and/or will be an upgrade to what I have. If I already have one of them then I am also looking for a good deal. If I can find another of them I have purchased, and get a great offer on one I have, I might accept it. One thing I would advise, and it works for me at least, is to try to stay focused on what your goals are. Since my main focus is 1 card from each known set from 1900-1949, that is my main priority. Now, when you see my collection there are multiples of some. That is because I like them...but know I can part with one if I need or want to. Just have fun with it....I am not sure there is a need to put a description, or restrict yourself, of anything. Just have fun and do what you want to, would be my recommendation.

abothebear
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
I bought a bunch of cards over the course of the fall from a local store's bid board. Several months later I realize that I don't "need" most of them. For me it has taken a while to develop a perspective on purchases - being able to discern the difference between the draw of the moment and a deeper draw that says this card needs to be in my collection.

If you have money to burn it doesn't matter. But if you have a tight budget, being finely tuned in your selectivity is essential. I wish I had my money back for 80% of the cards I bought last year (I was only spending about $7 a week so it isn't as bad as it sounds). Then I'd be closer to getting the ones I truly need.

t206hound
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm always looking for good deals. But some may consider me more of a flipper than a collector. I've picked up relatively cheap Lenox, Piedmont 42, Lundgren Chicago and beater Hall of Famers that don't "fit" into my collection for the sole purpose of finding someone else who does collect those in order to flip or trade.

My focus has also changed several times, and I just went through what you were describing. I sold off many of my SGC 10s (including HOF), and am in the process of doing the same on most of my SGC 20s (shameless plug: 30 are on ebay right now seller id: scars_lair).

So, from my perspective, I'm in favor of the "pick up what you like at the moment" knowing full well that it may not be "kept" for long.

mintacular
03-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you for your responses so far, very helpful. Please allow me to continue my OT with some additional complications.

1. I recently bought a '57 Brooks Robinson RC NM+ that I am very excited about and this "keeper" has tempted me to resell other cards that could help fund another "keeper".

2. My brother collects with me but is a casual collector and pretty much just likes high grade vintage rookies like Mantle, Aaron, etc. He would rather have 1 $1000 card than 25 vg T206s for example or a mid-grade '60 set.

3. In terms of flipping, I am not opposed to making a few big buys and putting the elbow grease into eBay to make some $ and use those funds to pay for my card budget throughout the year...I also try to buy for my collection only at market or below $ so that if I do change focus and need to resale I can "break even".

4. I've given up on thinking of the collection as an investment, especially when you think that 10%+ fees are involved with resale. I would like to think though that if I have had to sell that the cards I am buying will at least hold water over the years, maybe even that expectation is too high.

Thanks for letting me air out my thoughts...

Touch'EmAll
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Its all kinda relative with your budget. What may be a keeper for one, may not be keeper for another.

Right now, I focus on pre-war cards that would fit into an REA or Goodwin type auction - you know, the cards the major auctions would say, "yes, send it in for our next auction."

If its not major auction suitable, probably not a keeper. Then on the side I have a handful of "cool to me and my generation" cards - nice 1970's Reggie, Bench, Ryan, Seaver. And my Aaron run - thats pretty much it.

Exhibitman
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a big, detailed want list of sets I am collecting--those are the gotta have it items.

I have a big list of issues that I collect where I am unsure as to whether my want list is complete. Anything not checklisted is something I gotta have too.

I am always looking for oddball types that I don't already have or haven't seen before. Collecting is a continual learning curve, which is part of the fun.

I will always look at certain issues where I think I have an expertise :rolleyes: looking for variations that might go unnoticed or bargains I can stockpile as trade bait.

I will always look at good flipping material too.

cdn_collector
03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Should you always be buying cards with the intention that they are in the "keeper" category? Or is it healthy to dabble back and forth and pick up cards that you like at the time but realize could be disposable/substituted for other classic cards down the road?

I seem to cycle through this regularly. Buy a bunch of different stuff that I "have to have" until my collection loses any kind of focus. Then I pare it down to what I think is the keeper stuff, tell myself that's my new focus, and away I go. The cycle always repeats itself.

The way I see it, collections can change. If you are able to at least break even on the stuff that you rotate through, then what's the harm? I mean, at the end of the day, there are some keeper items I wish I still had, but at the same time, this approach has allowed me to own some pretty cool cards over the years without having to sink massive amounts of money into it.

Regards,

Richard.

Delray Vintage
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Quantity over quality used to be my strategy when I began collecting in the mid 90's. I was so enamored with the variety of vintage cards available and the thrill of ebay, when there were real auctions. Now I buy high quality and low population pre 1920. I am enamored with 1880's Kalamazoo, old judge and Wagner and cobb rare issues. Been focussed on investment potential buying one or two gems per year. I still have dozens of mediocre graded t 206's that I wish I never bought. Now I wait for the big quality auctions and salivating for REA catalog.

One day I will have the time to sell the low grade stuff, not bad, just not investment grade.

HercDriver
03-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I tend to use money for my "gotta have" cards - right now Sovereign back T205/T206 cards along with my T202s. However, there are a bunch of cards I love, so I generally trade them back and forth. It's kind of fun to hold a neat card for a few months, then find somebody else that can use it and get something else. I consider my dupes box my "disposable income" - mostly because I like to get cards in the mail! It's like a merry-go-round...

As for cards being an investment, mine are an investment indeed! Even though they are in mostly VG condition, they are an investment in my well-being and keep me interested in something other than the TV...

Take Care,
Geno

Big Ben
03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I was in a similar dilemma last year. After having a dormant collection for 15 years, I found myself getting back into the hobby by acquiring some pre World War II graded baseball cards. I then made the decision to streamline my collection by selling the bulk of my dormant collection to some coworkers and collect cards in which I had a specific interest. This in turn freed up some space in my house!:D I then took the money from the cards that I sold, and purchased some T206, T205, and some Goudey and Playball cards. I concentrated on the cards from the 1930's and 40's as that is my favorite era in baseball. I have flipped and traded cards in the past, but the ultimate high for me was when I used the money that I got from selling my collection and searched and won auctions for a Matthewson and a Ruth card among others. Will I do this again in the future? Probably not but you never know! :cool:

mintacular
03-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Well, it's very reassuring that it's not just me. A year or two ago it felt like eBay had very little cost involved with reselling but now the combination of me noticing the fees and the increase in them has made me think twice about constantly cycling cards...

Additionally, the pre-war world was not on my radar and so that is now an "issue" I have to deal with :) The challenge with pre-war is that I just don't have the budget to buy mid-grade or better and I've learned to accept low grade although my natural instinct/preference is to avoid creased, worn cards...

hangman62
03-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Interesting topic,
I just recently went thru my stuff and have actually made the decision to pack up and sell about 6 complete sets from the 50s and 60s, they are beat up and will not bring much...but its come to the point were Im not even remotely enjoying looking at these anymore, my problem right now is where or who to send them to.....one auction house wants it to put in auction..but there is no way of knowing what money I will end up with at the end ( minus the 15% comms)
I feel more comfortable with an out and out sale and knowing I will get $ XX. for the stuff,...the auction seems a bit risky ( I was told they dont do "reserves" )

ls7plus
03-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Patrick, with few exceptions relating to those cards that perhaps you may not be likely to be able to afford again in the course of you lifetime, i.e., those whose rarity, significance and condition would place the item among the upper echelon of virtually anyone's collection, or are simply so rare that it may be many, many years before you have a chance to purchase another example, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE MORE CARDS!

I personally am planning to sell a substantial portion of my collection, probably offered first under the BST portion of this board, in order to raise my share of venture capital towards what I believe will be a very successful business within the practice of law, but differnet in focus from my present practice (appellate attorneys, even damn good ones like myself, habitually arguing cases valued into six and even seven figures, simply don't get rich!) I anticipate that the new business will developely into a regional success across the midwest, and thus enabling me to escape the defeatist economic mentality presently prevailing in Michigan, as well as the far right wing orientation of our Michigan Supreme Court, easily the most conservative such court in the nation, which has placed quite a damper on the viability of most plaintiff's litigation.

But, as I stated, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE MORE CARDS! MORE CARDS TO CONNECT ME TO THE PLAYER AND TAKE ME BACK TO THE TIME!

Look for a substantial offering toward the ende of April to mid-May from me on the BST section of this forum, both post and pre-war. That is, if I can learn how to post the appropriate scans to go along with the cards offered for sale before then! Any tips in the latter regard greatly appreiciated!

Larry